Do you think having a black president has helped bring us togethe or caused more racial tension?

Who did you vote for?

Im have to say that i voted for Obama in hopes that our troops would be brought home but the nightmare still continues. After Christmas my brother who is in the navy is being stationed in irac on a ship. And my cousin who is in the marines will be on the front line in Afganistan. Its quite heartbreaking.

Please lets have a civial discussion as educated americans. I ask no bashing.

31angelmommy3

Asked by 31angelmommy3 at 12:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Didn't vote 4 Obama. Don't think it's helped or hurt. I agree w/ others that say it's always been there, just not vocalized by many until now, so maybe in some ways it's more tense but only b/c more's out there now 4 people to feel something about; things have to be undressed to be addressed. & convo comes from a mixed bag of issues - who's the most racist, what's racism, are blacks still "suffering", is there really an issue, who's black or "half white", etc.. The ?? are different, the answers are diff. depending upon who's asking & answering & @ anytime a nerve can be struck, & sometimes the nerve's unexpected to both the one striking & being struck. There's a lot misunderstood. .Just that it seems many white people r quick 2 say he's "half white" while 2 most black people he's black, period, is evidence enough of the divide that's been here since the 1500's or so & that has run solidly thru this nation ever since.
    gslim

Answer by gslim at 4:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I voted for McCain. The only problem I have is that people forget that he is half white. No one ever talks about the white side. My voting decision was not based on Obama's race. All the bashing and ass kicking ive heard about lately are kids beating up jews and red heads, nothing about black people. I think for the most part everyone is over looking his race. Or I would at least like to think they are.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:51 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I do not think the presidents' ethnicity has made a difference either way. I do believe he is trying. It is a difficult job, that I for one would not be willing to be responsible for. What a mess we as a nation are in.

I pray for our troops to stay safe and come home to their families and country.
    Anonymous

• I thought we had hope that he would help bring people together but soon realized that it would be just the opposite, especially after the crap with the jesse jackson/Al Sharpton type proffessor and the police "acting stupidly" thing.

We make a mistake. :(
    Anonymous

• I voted Obama, Don't think the President hurt racial relations, I think racial tensions have been simmering barely beneath the surface for decades...People are just talking out loud about it now....At teh end of the day, THAT will HELP not hurt

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:54 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I voted for McCain, the lessor of 2 evils in my opinion.

I think the president has made things worse. He had a wonderful opportunity to truly bring people together, he is of mixed race. He ignored the opportunity and instead chose to do things that divide.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:07 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I don't think Obama's the one with the racial tensions. They've been there all along. I think more old white people are more vocal because now they have a reason to blurt their hatred.
    Anonymous

• I think more old white people are more vocal because now they have a reason to blurt their hatred.

Funny, considering the sheer amount of racism that comes about in the form of dismissing anyone who dares disagree with the president as a racist. I think it's increased tensions in a roundabout way. People have turned his race into a pre-emptive excuse for his failures. Instead of holding him accountable, they will continue to paint the detractors as racists. THAT will be what continues to increase tensions.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:12 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I don't think Obama's being black has any significance compared to today's challenges. Never-ceasing attempts by terrorists to kill Americans is kinda more important than Obama's being our first black President. Iraq and Afghanistan are, as you say, heartbreaking. ... And I WISH America could "End the War" as the slogans say - but it's a childish slogan.

You CAN'T "end" this defensive against terrorists who are organizing to kill people in any land where there is liberty - unless THEY STOP.

We already made the mistake of shrugging off bin Laden's very clear declarations of his plans. Should we ALSO ignore the equally-clear words of anti-liberty violent muslims all over the Middle East and inside the U.S. ? ... Yeah, just "End the War"

Pres Obama's race is DEFINITELY NOT part of why critics are voicing their concerns. If he were "white" and his team was doing the same things, the criticisms would be EXACTLY the same !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:13 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• it always cracks me up..... isn't he equally as much white as black? how did he get to be the black president? bc he's brown-skinned?
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 1:14 PM on Dec. 9, 2009