How do you stay motivated and commited in your weight loss journey

I have been on a very restricted low caloric intake (dont wanna say diet) because I intend to make this a lifestyle. Its been a week now and I have lost 5 pounds. I am excited and cannot wait to see how much I lose next week. I am on my period now and having such strong cravings for chocolate and sugar lol. On the one hand, I feel like I deserve to have even a little bit since I have been doing so good, but on the other hand, I really want to stick to the plan. I really havent eliminated sugars completely, I have just cut down A LOT. I had 2 teaspoons of sugar in my tea today, and that is all the sugar I am supposed to have in a day.

So my question is, how do you keep focussed onyour weight loss? What do you tell yourself when you have cravings and what do you do about them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Hi, ok, don't give into the craving. Occupy yourself quickly. Get on the computer, do whatever u can think of to distract yourself. You will be so proud of your self for NOT giving in. Once u let more sugar in then you have to go thru cutting it back out. Cutting out sugar is an amazing accomplishment and so hard to do. CONGRATS for doing that! Stick to your plan, what else do u deserve, new workout clothes, something special u wouldnt normally get for yourself. Give yourself rewards but stay away from the sugar. Do you have a Beach Body profile?
    exoticwillow

Answer by exoticwillow at 3:19 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Honestly here is my take on it...its okay to have everything in moderation.I have shed 140 plus pounds by not deprieving myself of the foods that I love.The trick is being in control and knowing your limits.To eliminate cravings and to keep them under control to avoid binging,I allow myself a little treat once a week.It hasnt hurt my lifestyle change at all.It has been over a year.
    Nattiesmom9603

Answer by Nattiesmom9603 at 4:19 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Good thoughts, nattiesmom...Another thing I have done in regards to the cravings is to find substitutes. At first, they may not be quite as satisfying as the "real" thing, but your tastebuds will adjust. For example, when I am am craving something sweet, instead of the cookie dough ice cream I used to go for, I have a cup of sugar free Jello dark chocolate pudding. It's only 60 calories and I can add a small dollop of Light Cool Whip to it as well. There are very good alternatives--Skinny Cow and Weight Watchers both make yummy light ice cream treats (around 100-150 calories each) that are available at the grocery store. I have also trained my body over time to not need sweets nearly as much as I used to. So these light treats are only needed once or twice per week (maybe more during that time of month, lol).
    One other thing--you didn't refer to it as a diet, but "very restricted low caloric intake" sure sounds like one. Cont
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:51 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• You will likely not be able to maintain long-term anything very restricted. It's all about moderation, portion size, and trying to find those alternatives to the "naughty" foods. Whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, lean protein, etc will fill you up and you don't have to restrict yourself so much. THAT is a lifestyle change. I have lost around 60 pounds in the last 2 years by gradually shifting my diet in the way I just described and by exercising vigorously and frequently. I do not count calories (I do try to shoot for approx. 1800 per day, but I don't count them exactly--some days I have more, some less). Everything in moderation, and don't try to make drastic changes to fast. Give your body and mind time to adjust to the changes, and once they have, make a new goal. Good luck!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:55 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I try my hardest to watch what I eat and exercise regularly and I can`t lose for nothin`. Then I see alot of people in my area getting surgery , they are dropping weight like crazy . I am just jealous i guess that they don`t have to work as hard asI am and are doing so well.
    Anonymous