How do you deal with the stress??

Right now we are having a hard time, money is already stretched as thin as it can be. I feel fortunate that my kids have grandparents who can give them a nice christmas, but we won't be able to get them anything and I feel awful. How do you deal with the stress of knowing that you can't get your kids anything for christmas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Holidays

• i'm sure you could get them something... make something. my daughter is small so i didn't want to spend any money on her lol. i signed up for snapfish and they sent me a link that i could make a photobook for free (well i paid a whopping 2 for s&h lol). you could make them photo albums about the past year....... make them something cool for their room..... get creative. it doesn't have to cost alot. o also i like to make things like stuffed animals and quilts out of old clothes and stuff, but idk if you are crafty or have a sewing machine. i'm sure you could think of something.... it doesn't have to be big
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 1:40 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• We're in the same boat this year- and I'm not dealing with it well.. I know that Christmas isn't about material things and am happy that we can provide our daughter with a loving, supportive family, but it's definitely difficult knowing that everyone else is doing what I wish we could be doing.. just keep telling yourself that you're doing all that you can and continue to provide that family for them.. good luck and hope you guys have a very Merry Christmas.
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 1:41 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Well this isn't meant to sound and be mean but you have a whole 12 months to prepare why did you wait so long? There are lots of things you can do. You can make things like scrapbooks, photo books, give them things that say watch a movie with mom & dad, socks are cheap. They are really lots of things you can do. Look for the Christmas groups on here there are a ton of Ideas to make. The Holiday Sation has ideas as well as The Christmas Tree, HoHo Crafts, I love Christmas. You really need to plan better and pick up things all yr long. Then it won't stress you out so bad when you come to Dec. and have nothing. I hope whatever you decide to do make it fun. Make coupon books for things to do with them all yr long. Summer play dates at the park, take them to the zoo, water parks coupons let your in=magination run wild it doesn't have to be able material things. Merry Christmas
    Anonymous

• If you have $10, you can give them a great Christmas. Maybe not a gift to open, but I am sure they would appreciate TIME with you and making memories more than opening a present. Go to the Dollar Tree (or your local store where everything is $1). They often sell construction paper, glue, crayons, markers, scissors, stickers, tape, pompom balls, picture frames, etc. You can make a construction paper Christmas tree to put on their walls with construction paper ornaments, construction paper chain for decorating. You can take the picture frame, construction paper, and stickers and a photo of the family and make a cute framed photo for each kid by cutting the construction paper down to the size of the frame, then cut out a square, circle, etc in the middle that is big enough for the main part of the family photo to show through. Use the stickers to decorated the outer edges of the construction paper. use the paper as a mat for CONT
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• the photo. You can give them that as a gift, a decoration for their room :) You can get printable patterns for rudolph head, santa head, Christmas tree, star, etc and cut it out of construction paper and let them decorate with glue and pompom balls or glue and glitter, etc. There's a lot you can do with craft items that little ones will love doing. My kids are 5, 10, and 12 and they all still love doing crafts with me and often choose to do them on their own without asking.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:04 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• If you done the best that you have the entire year than there should be no stress and your kids should know that. After all you done the best you could.

Just make Christmas different this year other than presents from you. Give something that comes from the heart and that they will look back as the year “I will always have fond memories of.” Best childhood memories are things that don’t cost a dime.

Be grateful for grandparents and let it be a humbling experience so that you can do better next Christmas. 

Anonymous

• We have been through that..But we have G-parents that Are the same way and get her a Nice X-mas! I suggust that you go to Doller Tree and get them something or a cheap place..
    bonham

Answer by bonham at 4:13 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• we are goin throw the same thing... I hurt my back at work last year and i have to get surgey soon so i wont be goin back to work for awhile..... But the dollar store thing does work I have a 92 cent store here and they have evrything u could think of and a lot of crafts and the stress u just have to hide for the kids dont let them know ur stressed it will be hard but u can do it... i hope everything works out gr8
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Dec. 10, 2009