can someone who knows anything about criminal charges answer this?

what does it mean when they want someone to plea guilty to a lesser charge with possibilty of probation? what im asking is if they're pleaing to a lesser charge what happens to the charges they're already faced with?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Cont.

If the criminal takes the plea deal, they may only spend 30-45 days in jail but will have the paper "leash" to throw them back in jail every time they step out of line.

I know for a fact that you can pressure the DA to handle a case in a certain way because I've done it before. My daughter was sexually abused and I wouldn't allow them to let him take a plea deal. You are taking a risk though because if it goes to trial there's a chance he could get off scott free. He's been in jail off and on over the last 12 years. I think what's happening is that every time he gets in trouble for violating probation they charge him with failure to comply and add more time.

Anyhow, just wanted to you to know that you do have a legally recognizable voice in the matter and that you should work with the DA to make sure it's handled severely enough.

GL

Anonymous

• they drop them. usually when they offer a plea like that its because the prosecutor is uncertain they can convict on the given charge. so, instead of risking that they go free they offer a plea to a lesser charge so there is at least SOME kind of punishment. Many defendants take the plea because THEY are afraid of being convicted on the higher charge & getting a harsher punishment. Also if someone takes a plea, its lest costly to the tax payers in the long run...no trail, no housing them in prison etc.
    Anonymous

• It goes away. They made a deal with the DA that if he would just plea guilty they will give him probation instead of him being found guilty of the more severe charge and going to jail.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 1:57 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• sorry for typos.."trial" not "trail" nlol
    Anonymous

• Usually they will be dropped unles they are two seperate instances.
    Anonymous

• I'm OP. So this means my ex-husband who is faced with 4 charges of assault and battery on my kids COULD possibly go scot free? Or he will still be punished only not as severely?
    Anonymous

• Dropped. But if you are saying there are pending charges for a seperate crime, one that has nothing to do with the one you're referring to, they will still stand.
    Anonymous

• If the procecutor is offering him a plea & he takes it then, that is it. They cant re charge him with it.
    Anonymous

• BASTARD! Is jail time included in the lesser charge?
    Anonymous

• OP again-

Now I'm really confused lol. Ok, I saw an email from his lawyer to him, he was going to sit down with the DA and I suppose if the charges aren't being dropped then they will do this whole plea guilty to lesser charge thing. Now I'm not sure what the DA said-I can't fathom that the DA will be like "Ok, sure, I'll just ignore the medical evidence against him and let him pick up trash off the sidewalk for a few months". Please tell me this is unlikely!? I don't even understand what the lesser charge would be.
    Anonymous