Anyone ever fail a PPD test

that's where you test for tuburculosis. Did your chest XRAY come back positive, or negative. If it was postitive, what did they do from there?

charisma10

Asked by charisma10 at 2:06 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Health

• yes, i have a positive PPD. First time was about 3 1/2 years ago after i spent some time in the philippines. The positive means you've had exposure to TB and your body has developed antibodies. It does not necessarily mean you have or have ever had an active infection. Most likely you would know if you had it. TB usually affects people who's immune systems are compromised, and the classic symptoms are severe, sometimes bloody coughing, fatigue and weight loss (loss of appetite). If you're not having those, your chest x-ray will probably be negative. If you've had TB in the past, there me be some scarring in your lungs, which they won't probably do anything about if it's not symptomatic.

Once you have a positive PPD, you will ALWAYS have a positive PPD, because they antibodies will always be in your system. YOu will have to get chest x-rays every 2 years if you're in healthcare or working with kids. (continued)...
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 7:21 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• My chest x-rays have always been negative.

Your doctor will probably encourage you to take a series of medications to prevent future infections. These prophylactic meds are given for 9-12 months, I think they're called INH? I never took them because their effectiveness isn't well established, from what I understand.

If you have a positive chest x-ray and an active infection, you'll be put on another set of meds, where you have to take like three different antibiotics a day every day for months. I don't know what the current protocol is.

As long as you don't have the infection, don't worry, you'll be fine, and you're not contageous to anyone. After my + PPD, my SIL's were afraid to have me around their kids, which was really lame.

Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 7:26 PM on Dec. 9, 2009