If my kids go to private school instead of public can I stop paying the portion of my personal property tax that goes towards public schools in my city?

Since my children do not utilize public education, is it within my rights as a taxpayers to refuse to pay for others to go to school? What if I think I will never need food stamps or TANF? Can I stop paying those taxes as well? Is it ok for me to send a list to the government of what I think is acceptable for people on welfare to buy since, you know, I pay for it & its MY money & not their money?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I believe that OP is making an analogy to abortion being in the health care bill since many people disagree with paying for abortion.

Regardless, I will answer on the homeschooling question. I believe if someone that has children and is homeschooling that they should be able to pay a lower tax rate than those that have children utilizing the public school system. I also think that supplies and curriculum for homeschoolers should be able to be written off. As well as educational trips (museums, national parks, etc.).

Anonymous

• nope! It's just like there is no choice when you have kids that are too young for school or already graduated.... you still have to pay the required taxes. Sorry :-(
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 2:08 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• No.
    Anonymous

• NO!!!! I have no children living with me (they grew up and got married ) but I am still paying taxes.... Life isn't fair,huh? nice try,though.
    Anonymous

• No. There is a movement here in my town where a large group of home schooling familes are moving to the areas with the lowest property taxes. They believe in putting the money where it is needed most (urban areas).. AND they want to stop giving the tax money to the schools who are ranked high because of NCLB testing.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:19 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I wish I would do it in a hearbeat. My son goes to catholic and it really is a bummer.
    Anonymous

• ... And deprive our gov't of a SINGLE dime of your tax money ?!

How un-patriotic could you be?!

This fundamental gigantic unfairness is one of the reasons for the voucher education system - parents get a voucher for a given sum of money which they give to the school of their choice - if it's a private school which charges tuition, then they can use it for part of the tuition.

Vouchers would only be a small portion of the actual money collected by the gov't in taxes for education. ... So, to oppose the voucher system means you have ulterior motives - like keeping ALL the money in gov't hands ... or perhaps the teachers' union bosses see a threat that their membership might go down if teachers move out of public schools and stop paying dues ... or I have heard that a voucher system is "unfair" because then more students would get a chance for better education - that's stupid; AND blatantly communist.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:20 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• some people never had children and will be paying their whole life. it's just how it is
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 2:29 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Drama question. No you can't. Obviously you konw that, which is why you included other ridiculous questions as well.
    Anonymous

• No, and it is a good thing. It ensures that the divide between people of means and people without doesn't cross over into education.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 2:43 PM on Dec. 9, 2009