Is WIC right about this?

My daughter went in for her 1 year re-certification today. They told me that her drinking 4-5 sippy cups of milk per day is too much and she should only be drinking 2-3. I switched her from formula to milk at 11.5, and she was drinking 4-5 six ounce bottles of formula at that time so I just assumed that she should have the same amount of milk to replace the formula she's not getting anymore. I realize that since she eats table food she gets nourishment from there too, and I do give her water or really watered down juice but I didn't think I was giving her too much milk. She still eats normally and is in the 80th percentile for both height/weight.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• WIC has guidelines they follow, if your child wants 4-5 glasses of milk per day then i dont see how it could be bad, my oldest drank milk like crazy at a year old, I felt it was better than sugary juices. if you figure 3 of those glasses are with a meal then she is only drinking 1-2 glasses outside meal time there is nothing wrong with that.

While I have always been supportive of the WIC program I do sometimes think that they forget that guidelines are just that a guide not something you have to follow to the letter.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:15 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I don't know if it's too much, but is more than my pediatrician recommended at that age.
    Anonymous

• Just a piece of advice WIC does not know what they are talking about. The only medical advice I would take is from her pediatrician. Dont listen to WIC I think they are morons. They would tell me one thing and then my dons doctor would tell me another. I would just smile and nod my head.
    Anonymous

• Milk is very fattening, too much is bad. My mother allowed me too much milk when I was young and it was part of the reason why I was overweight and the doc told her to limit me to one glass a day.
    Anonymous

• Kids need milk because of the fat. I think it was more than milk that gave you your weight problems....Have you talked to your pediatrician?
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 2:19 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• WIC in on a new kick about how milk is fattening. So maybe thats why. My son is 2 and they will only let us get lowfat, 1% or 2%. I don't have the option of whole milk anymore. And my son is by no means chubby, he has a great metabolism like his father and myself. And my son drinks ALOT of fluids durring the day and will easily have 2 or 3 sippy cups of milk for breakfast. just make sure she stays active and healthy otherwise and she should be fine. You could also ask her pediatrician, he/she would know whats best for her more than WIC would.
    imeddiesmommy

Answer by imeddiesmommy at 2:19 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• OP: I should add that her height/weight percentiles have actually gone DOWN. From birth she's been in 90th and even off charts at one point, and I think now that she's crawling and moving around more she's leveled out. I'm not worried that she's lost too much weight, I think she's finally steadying out and now instead of being in clothes that are months ahead of her age she's right in 12 months. We have a pediatrician's appointment next week so I will ask them how they feel about the milk situation. I also thought whole milk was good for toddlers for brain development.

Eddiesmommy: I'm in the same boat with my 3 year old. She's very petite and now they're telling me she's only allowed 1%-fat free milk! She eats like a bird as is and I took comfort in the fact taht atleast she was getting SOME fat from the whole milk!
    Anonymous

• I dont know about your situation but my children were avid milk drinkers as i said before. all of my children are slender, my daughter can only wear skinny jeans or they fall off her butt, my sons are very slim. I dont think milk alone can cause obesity, growing children need that fat in the milk because it is good fat not bad, I think many people tend to forget that there are two types of fat.

Personally when I switched to a high dairy diet i lost more weight then when i had less dairy in my daily diet.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:23 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• That's a lot of milk. Not because of the fat, necessarily, but because the milk proteins are still kind of hard on a 1 year old's intestines. I wouldn't do much more than 20 ounces, personally. I think the recommendations are hard to find though.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 2:27 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Recent U.S. dietary guidelines have raised the number of recommended servings of dairy products from two to three a day for kids between 4 and 8. It's still two servings a day for kids under 4. (For kids 9 to 18, it's four servings.) One cup of milk or yogurt or 1.5 ounces of cheese (equivalent to six dice-size cubes) counts as a serving.
    But keep in mind that all dairy products are not created equal. Yogurt, for instance, has more protein and sometimes has more calcium than milk, but it's rarely fortified with vitamin D.
    Anonymous