Positive HPT after miscarriage

I had a chemical miscarriage at 3 week 3 days, and its been almost 2 weeks since I started to miscarry. I havent had ANY red blood or very light cramping at all. This would be my 4th miscarriage this year and with those I bled very heavy and had horrible cramping. MY HCG was at 23 last thursday and the Dr. said that my HCG would be at 0 by last sunday. Its been 4 days and im still getting dark positives and positive digital test! I thought you needed atleast a 25miu to get a positive on those test... Thats why im confused.. I know that you can still get positives after you miscarry, but if your hcg is below 10 then how is that possible?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:11 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Sorry about your losses. I also had a chemical pregnancy, and it took several weeks for my HCG to go all the way back to zero. I don't think the decrease in HCG after a miscarriage or chemical pregnancy necessarily follows the same pattern as the increase during early pregnancy. It may be taking longer than expected for your HCG to go down.
    Anonymous

• Yeah.. its not like I still think im pregnant because I know im not, but after my other chemical miscariages my tests were negative within 2 days. I think my body is taking longer to expell this time. Since ive only been spotting... I will keep testing till I get a negative. Thank you
    Anonymous

• After a miscarriage you can get false positives for up to 6 weeks after the fact because it takes that long for the pregnancy hormone to wear down.
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 2:46 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Depending on the kit you use, some of the sensitivities are as low as 5 mIU/mL. They have to be at least as sensitive as what is specified on the label but can be more so.
    AlyKen

Answer by AlyKen at 4:19 PM on Dec. 10, 2009