how old was you child when he/she could feed themself w/ a spoon/fork

my son is 11months old and i bought him this bowl that is made to suck to a highchair (so they cant pick it up, throw it, etc) and it came with a child safe fork and spoon. It said for 12 months and up. I know my son is just now 11 months but he has no cordination to keep food on a spoon and put it to his mouth, he dumps the food putting the spoon upside down toward his mouth. Ideas??

Super09Mom

Asked by Super09Mom at 2:12 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think that is apart of the learning process. Just put a bib on him that has the pocket that catches all the fallen food. Practice makes perfect. I found that a fork is easier to teach them with, if he gets that down packed than I would move to the spoon. Thats what I did.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 2:14 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• We started with a spoon and "solid" food. We would do things like thick mashed potatoes, cerrios, etc. and my DD started feeding herself with her spoon at about 10 months. By her first birthday she fed herself all on her own (between the spoon/fork and her hands).
    Anonymous

• I always gave them a spoon to hang on to when I was feeding them. kept them fromgrabbing the spoon or fork I was holidng onto. lol

had one of those suction bowls....it was such a good idea! lol just don't put through the dishwasher - it warps the suctioncup and it won't stick .

give it to him - its practice practice practice....and yeah a mess, but its all the learning process.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:24 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Practice makes perfect. Give him the spoon.
    Anonymous

• shestarted at 12 mts. by 18 mts she was feeding herself
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:57 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Like most skills, each child masters them at different times. You're taking the right approach. Keep giving spoon/fork to experiement with. We had more success with a fork since he could stab food. Spoon was tougher so stick with "sticky" foods that will hold onto the spoon. Kids should have some degree of ability to use a spoon/fork by about 18 months but it will probably not be pretty!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:52 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• My son was closer to 2 when he mastered the skill. Before then, he'd try, but most of the time it fell off the utensil and he ended up eating it with his fingers anyway.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 5:43 PM on Dec. 9, 2009