How do I get my sitter 'on-board' with potty training?

Our 22-month son goes to a sitter 5 days/week from 8-5pm. He began showing signs of potty readiness about a month ago, so we started training over Thanksgiving. He is a pro! The problem is that our sitter doesn't want to help train him. She has another boy (2 1/2 y - not trained), so she feels it would be too much. Any advice on how to deal with this diplomatically?!!?

Geo-Mom

Asked by Geo-Mom at 2:19 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You are paying her for a service, part of that is assistance with potty training. If she can't do her job then you may as well find someone who will work for their money.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:20 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I completely agree with jademom. 100%.
    We started my DD at 14 months! She did GREAT and we sent her to day care and even though they have MANY other kids (some trained, some not) they were completely ok with helping potty train her. Again, I pay her for her services.
    Anonymous

• i think potty trainning is a moms job not a sitters,not trying to be mean but take soe time off if you can and do it yourself.
    Anonymous

• I'd start looking for a new sitter. My daycare is very willing to work on potty training, and in fact they brought it up before I did.
    Anonymous

• If you've trained your son I think the sitter should continue to support the work you have done. It's not like you are asking HER to do the potty training, you are asking her to help remind him to go potty. I would think she would be happy to not have to deal with changing diapers.

I have to say I agree with Jademom.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 2:42 PM on Dec. 9, 2009