do all newborns put their hands in their mouth

my daughter is 7 weeks old and for the past week or so she constantly puts her hands in her mouth. it is cute but can this be bad? i make sure her hands are clean.

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 2:31 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes, its normal. it usually means they are hungry, at least thats my experiance.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 2:35 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• OP

ty but she usually does it all the time, before and after feedings so i don't think thats it but not sure
    samantha21385

Answer by samantha21385 at 2:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• It's very common, but I never say ALL with children of any age.
    She's discovered her hands. It's a big deal to her. Now she's trying to figure out what they are for and what she can do with them.
    Anonymous

• A lot of them do it as a comfort thing. I wouldn't worry about it. Make sure that you keep her chin, neck and hands dry as much as possible though, because that can cause rashes that are uncomfortable (especially under the neck and between fingers).
    Anonymous

• mine came out like that
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:42 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Just wait until she finds her feet! My dd sucked on her feet constantly for about 2 months. They were her favorite toy.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 4:30 PM on Dec. 9, 2009