What should i expect before/during my first prenatal exam?

will there be an ultrasound? i had a limited u/s to affirm pregnancy& it was smaller thanwe expected it to be based on the dates that i had given when she asked when my last mentstrual period was... although it was strangely exactly 2 weeks difference when she told me what the machine had measured the fetus to be gestational age. which is exactly what when i looked it up online there is two dates, the one measured by LMP (last menstrual period) and the actual gestational age. when i say my lmp was 8weeks ago then they say online calculators say my gestational age is 6weeks along, exactly two weeks difference from the LMP, so when the tech said i mustve missed a period then...maybe she didnt take into affect that the gestational age is 2weeks sooner than the LMP timing... i wish i could have a dr or nurse reaffirm my suspicions on that but either way i am seeing my OB 1st time on wed, what do i expect on my 1st prenatal EXAM?

xxxnataliexxx

Asked by xxxnataliexxx at 2:44 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• maybe a pap
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:44 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• alot of paper work.
    no u/s unless doctor wants to confir pregnacy. vaginal
    vaginal exam(sometimes) not much. mostly question and alot of paper work, some due blood wor others wait till your 12 wks
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:55 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• The doctor sat down with my husband and I and took a detailed history from me especially and also from my husband a bit. Then there was an exam, breast and vaginal with a pap smear. I don't think they took blood but I can't recall for sure. And I am sure there was a urine sample. That was pretty much it. The exam was pretty much the same as a regular gyno visit, but the doctor did spend a lot of time talking to us at the beginning which I liked. Write down any questions you may have or things you want to discuss with the doc so you don't forget in the moment. Otherwise don't be stressed out about it, it's easy and pretty painless. There usually isn't an ultrasound, if you already had one to determine how far along you are you probably won't have one again for several months when they will check again to see if baby is developing on schedule- this is when they can typically tell you the sex of the baby. Congrats and good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:57 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Ask for the u/s report to be sent to your dr. But, just so you know...the baby could be 2 weeks behind what it "should" be based on your LMP. Every woman does not ovulate on a perfect schedule every time. I know exactly when my last period was, and I'm 2 wks behind what I "should be" cause I ovulate late.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 2:58 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• some practices do ultrasounds all the time but most only do 1 or 2. at my first prenatal appt i just asked loads of questions, and my midwife asked me loads of questions. they took my blood pressure. they didn't even have me pee in a cup so they didn't even confirm my pregnancy in any way. lol. i filled out some paperwork on family history and on my previous pregnancy /birth.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:56 PM on Dec. 9, 2009