Switching to a convertible car seat.....

My dd is 8 months and 20 lbs. 3 oz. We are getting ready to switch to a convertible carseat from her graco infant carseat. I have been doing research and my head is swimming! HELP!! What convertible carseats do you guys recommend, and why? I have been looking at the Graco my ride 65, and also the britax advocate & boulevard... I will be keeping her rear facing as long as possible... so I was looking at investing in one that goes up to 654 lbs. THANKS!

babyruby02

Asked by babyruby02 at 2:46 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i think yopu mean 65lbs. i would love to have abritax but right now i cant afford it. i have 2 kids, my ds 9mtshas and evenflo titan elite and my dd 33 mts a cosco scenera both are rear facing but dd will reach her limit very soon like in 2 mts..
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:49 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• 654 pounds? What a little porker you must have!!! Just kidding.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:59 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• We love our Britax Boulevard CS. You can keep them rear facing for quite a while in those. I also like that it has an additional tether (called the versa-tether or something like that) that stabilizes the seat even more by tethering the top back of the seat to an anchor point in the car. My son will be 2 in less than a month and he is still comfortably rear-facing. I ended up getting ours on Amazon.com for more then $100 less than they usually retail (and free shipping) so I'd suggest doing a search on there and seeing what you come up with.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 3:03 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I'm going to put Rorie in an Evenflo Triumph Advance. My toddler has one, and I love it. It rear-faces to 35 lbs, forward-faces to 50. Not quite up to the MyRide limits, but it costs less, and it still has all the other safety features. What I absolutely love about it is the straps: the shoulder straps slide up and down instead of having to practically take the seat apart to put them in a different slot (and you can get them in the perfect place every time), and to tighten them you just turn the knob instead of having to contort yourself to pull the strap as tight as it needs to be (may not be a problem for all seats, but the seat my SIL has is a pain in the butt...makes me (and her) like mine that much more, lol).
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:03 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• we have an Cosco alpha omega - perfectly safe and inexpensive. easy to change around and SHE'S comfortable in it. it has a removable base for when they're forward facing that makes it just a bit lower and more narrow (which is nice when you have more than one seat to contend with)

try them out in store - it would really suck to do all that research, buy one and she's uncomfortable or it doesn't fit in the car right.

also fiddle with it in store to see how it locks, how it adjusts, and then how it fits in your car.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:43 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I have a truefit. Easy to adjust.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:56 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Sorry girls, I DID mean 65 lbs! I was typing too fast! I will have to research other brands and see what I come up with!
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 5:51 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I have a True Fit and LOVE it. I've tried out the MyRide in the store, and would consider purchasing it if I needed another seat.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:31 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Our babies r us has a car's backseat in the carseat area and we took down all the seats and tried them out to see how hard it was to install them and see how comfortable caiden was in it. However we ordered the seat offline, got the britax marathon but in last years color for over $100 less than the new colors in store. :) Good luck mommy, let me know how Aub likes the new seat when you get one!
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 9:33 AM on Dec. 12, 2009