Dog farts?

We have a 6 month old puppy, full blood pit, and she farts constantly. It would be ok, but they stink horribly. Also, I have caught her a few times eating cat shit off the ground! YUCK!! So my question is, how do I get her to stop eating the poo and is there anything I can do to stop her from farting so much and the smell?

Mom2Dano

Asked by Mom2Dano at 3:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Pets

• Congrats on your puppy! I love their pupy breath haha...I too have a pitbull and she use to eat her own poo! Gross I know. I asked her vet and she gave me the name of this stuff that you put in their food or water I forget the name but I'd ask the dogs vet. Once the pooch stops eating that the gas should subside. My dogs both have bad gas! All I can say is Lysol! lol
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 3:05 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• The dog could be gassy because of her diet. I would take a good look at that because that can also be the reason dogs eat poop, If they are lacking something in their diet. There are products that you put in the animals food so that the poop taste bad to the poop eater. Of course it only works if the dog is eating your cats or it's own poop.

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_PoopEating.php

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:15 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• i dunno if it's true, but dogs will eat poop if there are any traces of undigested meats in there. either a cats or their own. so if you have table foods being fed, they are going to eat that poop. i've never been told directly by a dog, but that's what i've come to hear lately on the subject. my pitbulls all had bad gas. i used to put liquid generic mylanta on the dog food and it helped. didn't cure it, but it helped alot.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:53 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I completely agree with changing her diet. Poor diet can cause gas and poop eating. Or you could try adding some powdered Acidophilus (buy the capsules in the human vitamin section, just open the capsules and pour the powder in her food)...if she is already on a good diet she could still not be digesting it properly for some reason.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:51 PM on Dec. 10, 2009