What can I do?

My 2 year old son has recently started waking up before anyone in the house and sometimes doesn't wake anyone up. Take this morning for example: He went to bed at 930 pm, I went to bed at 1230. Normal for us. He woke up at around 130 am and came to my room and started getting into things, I didn't get him back to sleep until around 4 am. After he fell asleep I did to. Well, he woke up again and I'm not sure what time. He got into the refridgerator and got out the syrup and ketchup. He poured the syrup out all over his room and all over himself. So I was not happy when I woke up around 8 when he came into my room and started messing with things again. I want him to wake up at a normal time and I want to be up with him. Usually I wake up about an hour before he does, but for the past week or so that's not the case. I don't want him getting hurt and nobody to be up when he is up. I feel like locking him in a room! What can I do?

Mom2Dano

Asked by Mom2Dano at 3:28 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• to start, you can get a baby monitor again and try to leave it on and put him back to his room when you hear him up, and tell him he needs to stay in his room etc.? I just put my just recently turned 2 year odl in a toddler bed so I dont' have too much advice..ugh
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:32 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• My sister experienced this as well with both her kids. I am sure I will experience it too with my DS as he gets bigger. When she did was be very clear that they were to come and get Mommy when they woke up. It took two or three times but eventually the message was recieved. You could also send the message that he is not to get out of bed until Mommy or Daddy comesto get him. Thats the message my Mom sent and it worked for me and my sister. Als owhen he gets into things reinforce that is inapporpriate. GL!
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 3:36 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• They sell door handle covers at target/walmart/fred meyers and other stores. It makesa it so little hands can't open the door but keeps the door unlocked in case of an emergency. That's what I did til ds was old enough to understand he needs to stay put til mommy wakes up. Now he's good about staying in bed til I get him out but he's 3.5 years old now. Good luck with what you choose.
    mom06and09

Answer by mom06and09 at 4:20 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• They also sell door alarms that you could attach to his door. It would beep in your room when he leaves his bedroom, so you can quickly get him back into bed before he terrorizes the house.

He may be too young, but you could put an alarm clock in his room and tell him he is to stay in his room until the clock reads 7:00 or whatever time you decide. Or set the alarm to play a song or something at an appropriate time for him to leave his room, and he must stay in the room until he hears that song play.
    Anonymous