I just found out I'm expecting what's the easiest and fastest way to ween my son from breastfeeding.

Any Ideas would help. Thanks

lilmama29001

Asked by lilmama29001 at 3:42 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Can you just drop 1 feeding every week or so? Introduce more solids.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:53 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Your milk supply will drop drastically in a few months. I struggled to keep my daughter nursing. My first two quit during that time my supply dropped. If you want to wait, he will most likely quit on his own. I know you didn't ask - but you can also keep nursing. I just gave birth to our 4th child and nursed our daughter all the way through the pregnancy. It is SO nice having her nursing right now. I don't have any problems with being engorged! :)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:00 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• You don't actually haven't to.. You can tandum feed both your little one and the one on the way.
    Anonymous

• Start with a meal at a time. When he cries for breastmilk set him in his highchair with a meal or snack instead. I got pregnant and had a one year old and did the same thing. Eventually we were down to only night and morning feeding and I switched those out for meals too and now we're booby free! :) Its not as difficult as you think it is going to be.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 4:00 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Do you have a medical reason to wean?

Answer by rkoloms at 4:05 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• If you WANT to...drop one feeding per week till gone, but don't expect easy for him. Sorry.

You do not HAVE to unless your pregnancy is high risk. If not, you can nurse as long as your son wants. Lots of info on nursing through pregnancy over on kellymom.com.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:32 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Unless you have a specific medical reason you do not have to wean. I nursed my child until 6 months pregnant when it changed to colostrum and he told me it was yucky and quit on his own. I also have a friend who nursed through her whole second pregnancy and tandem nursed after. If you really feel you need to then the best bet is to just drop one feeding a week leaving the ones that are most important to your child last (usually the ones before nap and bed).
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:13 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I dropped 1 feeding at a time starting with the least popular nap time feeding (replaced with 2 stories and some rocking in the rocking chair) a couple weeks later I replaced the morning feeding with a sippy of milk (hubby helped with this one by giving him the first 2 milk sippies over the weekend) bedtime took longer though. Each week I dropped 5 minutes and replaced it with a story and rocking.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 9:26 PM on Dec. 9, 2009