what are your thoughts on home schooling?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• It is not for me. I think kids need socialization to help build self esteem. I think it is also healthy to see and hear new things each day. Plus it has to get boring at home all day everyday!
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 3:48 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• whatever works for you.

I personally don't have the motivation (I procrastinate....). lol

I'm friends with many homeschoolers who are doing amazing jobs teaching their kids, its just not for me.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:50 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• We considered it when our daughter was young. I probably could have done well through 4th grade. There is no way that I could have given her close to the quality of education that she is getting from Chicago Public Schools; I certainly could not have prepared her for a university education.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:04 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• It's not for me. I don't have the discipline, and my son would get seriously shortchanged. If you can do it, great.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:07 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I was home-schooled (I spent about 4 years in public school in total - for the most part I was home-schooled.)

I had many more friends from various groups I was involved in during homeschooling than I had at public school. It's a complete misconception that home-schooled children do not socialize with other children.

I am undecided as to whether we will home-school. If we do not home-school we will be sending our kids to private school, as the public schools where I am are awful.

ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 4:08 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I think it's wonderful as long as you make an effort for your child to socialize with other children.

Home schooled kids tend to score much better on tests than others. Wish i could do it.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:59 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• We are homeschoolong and loving it! My kids get plenty of social time, and rarely get bored. It may not be for everyone, but its working great for our family.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 5:24 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I think kids need socialization to help build self esteem. I think it is also healthy to see and hear new things each day. Plus it has to get boring at home all day everyday!

wow, what presumption.
    my kids get socialization, they see and hear new things every day, and we're NOT at hom all day everyday, far from it.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:35 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• It's can be a lot of work, and it's more than worth the effort.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:36 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I was home schooled from sixth grade on because the busses didn't run right, and I loved it. We were involved in the home school association which had it's own band, choir, sports, you name it. The parents in the association got together, and parents would tutor other parent's children if it was necessary. Academically, I did great. I started college at 16 years old, graduated at 20 with a 4.0 gpa. Home schooling, when done properly can be wonderful. I and my siblings had a wonderful experience with it. However, it can be devastating to a child if done improperly. I know another family who "home schooled" their children. The children have about a 4th grade education and can't find good jobs because of their lack of education.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 6:41 PM on Dec. 9, 2009