why doesn't your hair mildew?

Ok... so strange question I know but I just don't get it. I can get out of the shower at 7am, throw my hair up in a ponytail, and when I take it out at 10pm, my hair will be completly wet still but smell shower fresh and dry just fine. But... if I leave a shirt wet too long it mildews. And cotton is supposed to be a breathable fabric... So... in that sense you would think my hair would do the same...

MsMallory09

Asked by MsMallory09 at 3:46 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Interesting question...never thought of that...and sorry I can't answer it! lol
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 3:48 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Maybe because it's alive? Grass doesn't mildew either.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:52 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I thought hair and nails were dead?
    Anonymous

• I'm not sure why it takes longer for hair to mildew, but I know it WILL if left up and stays damp for 24-48 hours, because my grandmother had VERY long, VERY thick hair and she would put it up on a bun, and it would get mildew-smelling if she didn't let it down to dry out completely at night. It was a big yuck.
    Anonymous

• I thought hair and nails were dead? --- If they were they wouldnt grow

That is a very good question OP LOL I never thought about it. LOL
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:55 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• You can actually get a mildew like scalp fungus from putting up wet hair every single day - happend to my co-worker!! She did put her wet hair up in a clip/bun thing everyday though.
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 3:58 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• They dead cells, which is why it doesn't hurt when you cut hair or clip nails.
    Anonymous

• Oh, don't be fooled...it does mildew. I know first hand. I have extremley thick and full curly hair. It is virtually impossible to get it to dry without it becomeing a huge fuzz ball. It will stay wet for couple of days or longer if I keep it up without letting it dry. It does mildew, and it is so hard to get rid of it, now after years of having this problem, I can always smell the mildew, although it is not as bad as it was....
    Anonymous

• Your scalp can mildew, actually.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 5:22 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• When I had long hair I noticed that I could wear my hair in a pony tail like you said and it would still be wet hours and hours later. My hair did get a funny smell to it when I did that. I have very thick hair.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 6:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2009