Do you think mother should be friends with their kids as well?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Absolutely! I have always been best friends with my mother, and I think it has made a world of difference. It actually made me love and respect her more. I've also always felt comfortable coming to her with any situation and problem. She was always a great mother, and it never compromised her parenting. She also never had a problem disciplining me. Her being my friend only helped me to know that she was disciplining me because she loved me. I noticed a huge difference in the relationships of my friends with their mothers growing up. The ones who were friends with their parents not only behaved better, but LIKED their parents.There were times, where if my mother had not been my friend, I would have ended up in a bad place. I hope to God that when my son grows up that we can be friends like I've always been with my parents.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 8:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Nope. You only have one Mom. You can have lots of friends. Good Moms don't worry about being liked they worry about doing right by their child.
    My mother only became my friend once I was a Mother as well. I thin kthis switch was only because she knew I would need someone to lean on now. But believe me, she has still reserved the right to slip back into Mommy mode with me!
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 3:53 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• To some extent yeah. Like If my child had something weighing on her or him they could tell me anything and I would be supportive of them and help them and they could trust me. But in other ways such as partying with your child...not cool!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 3:55 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Uhm yes. Think about it, why are you friends with the people you are friends with? You get along well, you can talk to them, trust them, they are nice to you, respect you, etc. Every thing that you think is a good quality in a friend is something that is a good quality in a parent. So, yes.
    Anonymous

• I think that you can be both, as long as the line between Mom and friend isnt crossed. My kids think of me as their best friend, but its because we are open and honest with each other and they can talk to me about ANYTHING without worry. That isnt to say there arent consequences when they arent doing the right thing, I am still MOM, and they are still my kids. I dont make them my best friend so to speak, they dont know about all that goes on in my head, thats too much responsibility for kids. I think it helps that my kids are almost all teens now. I dont think it is that difficult to be both
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 3:57 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Not until they are adults, and maybe not even then...

Answer by rkoloms at 4:00 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• My daughter is 5 and, God only knows, she is my best pal.
    Emmagr

Answer by Emmagr at 4:09 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Yes I do, My mom and I are friends but she is still my moma nd i have respect ofr her as a parent. GRowing up it made it much easier to talk openly to her about htings many girls wouldnt dare talk to their moms about.

I try to keep a very open relationship with my kids, they know where the line is and that no matter what i am stil the parent and deserve respect as such. My own kids come to me when they need to talk and ask advice and I hope as the grow older it will continue.

I also have a 5 y/o DD and she is my best buddy and my favorite shopping buddy :)
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:13 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• my daughter is my best pal too. She knows though, that i am mom & what i say goes. I think having a good friendship with your kids is very important.

UNLESS, the parent cannot discipline.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• not until they are adults my 7yr old tell me all the time she's not my friend anymore when she can't get her way and I tell her i'm not your friend I'm your mother
    mom2ryneandsam

Answer by mom2ryneandsam at 4:48 PM on Dec. 9, 2009