Has anyone ever called CPS before on someone?

Well, I didn't actually call CPS, but I did call the cops, and they will call CPS.
There were two children in my building earlier that got left at home by themselves. A 3 year old and a 2 1/2 year old. the maintenance guy brought them home because they were outside playing by the pool by themselves. *Note* It's like 40 outside. No jacket. No hat. Short sleeves. Little girl doesnt have underwear or diaper on. So, the maintenance guy drops them off to the lady that is there. She was asleep. Five minutes after he leaves, SHE then leaves. So..the kids are now home by themselves. I go up to the front office to inform them, they knew, but didnt do anything and told me to call the police. I Did. Between the time I called the cops and by the time they got here, the kids had gotten outside twice. The cops were here for a good 3 hours. No one got arrested. Kids went back home.
I feel like crap right now. Anyone have this happen?

flmom81206

Asked by flmom81206 at 3:59 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Im sorry I swear sometimes the cops and CPS are jsut so stupid.
    Yes I have called on someone before. I called CPS on my mother. Instead of coming and checking it all out like they told me they called her and told her everything I told them . She convinced them I was lying. When she came home that day she beat me til I passed out.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• You did the right thing. You probably would've felt way crappier if those kids had fallen into the pool and drowned and you didn't call. I don't understand why the cops didn't have CPS take custody if they arrived and couldn't find the parents...
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 4:03 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Oh, to answer the question, I've called many times. I worked for years at a homeless shelter for children and a lot of them were runaways for abuse and neglect. It was my job to call CPS when an abused or neglected kiddo came to our shelter. I've seen such horrible things that I wish I could just burn out of my memory. Such great kids too....Shame.
    Anonymous

• OOPS, that was me above! I don't know why it came out Anon! HA!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 4:06 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• It's a shame that nothing was done about it, but you definitely did the right thing. You may have saved their lives tonight, and if nothing else at least there is something on record about them. Maybe a call from the police will be enough to shake the mom up? One can hope anyway.
    jackiesmom72

Answer by jackiesmom72 at 4:53 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I've never called, but I've wanted to a few times. a good friend of mine has her issues, and I know it's not a safe enviroment for her kids, but everytime I want to call, i never know what her address is. She's had them called on her 3 times by her own parents, the kids need to be taken from her.
    Wrtngfantasymom

Answer by Wrtngfantasymom at 4:53 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• not that exact situation but yes we've called.

an old neighbor hated her son (she wanted a girl and as soon as that girl was born he was forgotten) she'd leave him on the balcony of the townhouse with a small wading pool of water and a cup. we moved soon after that and I have always wondered what ever happened to that poor boy.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:32 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Thank God you called and more people need to call. GOOD JOB!
    Some parents and caregivers should never be watching children, that is horrifying.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• No, I never have, but I have been tempted before.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 7:09 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I have since I would have lost my license had I not, but I did pre-warn the parents that I would cal if their son came to my care with any marks or physical harm done to him after a weekend at dads house (they were divorced). So, I called and reported his father to CPS after the boy came to my care on a Monday dropped off by mom who didn't know what happened at dads since she picked him up at the hospital and he was still drugged up. The hospital was only able to get what happened from the step-dads girlfriend since the boy was banged up bad. Long story short I don't know if CPS followed up with my call, but even after I stopped daycare I kept in touch with that family. Within three years of me making that complaint the father found out that the abuse was valid and happening by his girlfriend. He left the girlfriend but it was too late as courts awarded sole custody to the mom no visitation for dad.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 7:50 PM on Dec. 9, 2009