does loosing mucus plug always mean your starting to dialate?

Im 37 weeks and started loosing mine today, is this a good sign? My doctor checked my cervix yesterday (if that could have caused it) but I wasn't dialated yet, she said my cervix was soft though?

Mikayla_lynn

Asked by Mikayla_lynn at 4:17 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i think it has to dilate at least a bit for the mucus to start coming out. but could just be like 1/4 cm or something. :)
    Anonymous

• no but it does mean your gonna have a baby really soon i lost mine in the after noon on sunday like noon and my son was born the nexted morning at 7am let your doctor know so he/she knows that you will be in labor real soon
    Anonymous

• Generally, it means you're starting to dilate. Your doctor sticking her finger in there could have had something to do with it, though. Either way, it doesn't really matter. I lost mine at 37 weeks with my first (after a vaginal exam, dilated to 1 cm), and still no labor by my scheduled C-section at 39 weeks. But with my second, I went into labor the next day (not dilated at all 2 days beforehand). So while it probably means dilation is happening, I wouldn't get your hopes up too far that labor is imminent.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:29 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• It just means that your outer ox is starting to dilate which has nothing to do with the opening to your uterus.

OMG anon :28 are you for real?? Did you SERIOUSLY just tell her she is going to have her baby really soon? That does NOT mean that and I hope that the OP realizes that! I started to lose my plug at 26 weeks with this pregnancy and am now 34 weeks pregnant and I lost it at 31 weeks with my DD and ended up delivering after my induction at 38 1/2 weeks.

OP... do NOT call your doctor to "let them know you will be in labor real soon" they might laugh at you!! It doesnt mean you will be in labor soon
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:26 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• That was suppose to say oz, not ox
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:44 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• once the cervix starts to dialate yes the plug will come out. but it could be days or even weeks. mine came out for all three about 6weeks before I actually went into labour.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:09 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• No its not an indication of labor starting soon at all, you can even have a child without ever seeing the plug! I assume it came out sometime during labor with my first but i never saw it, with my second it was coming out in pieces for weeks before she was born. It doesn't mean anything and there is no reason to call your doctor.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:32 AM on Dec. 10, 2009