When is ok to start my baby on solids?

She almost 5 months and she eats 24/7 and she doesnt like the rice cereal to much.

LuvMy2Minis

Asked by LuvMy2Minis at 4:20 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you're giving her rice cereal, then you HAVE started solids. You can move her to mashed banana or potato or avocado right now. Solids were introduced with the first taste of anything not breastmilk or formula.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:29 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Most babies start around 4-6 mo of age starting with baby cereal and moving on to veggies, then fruits, and finally meats. My baby is 4.5mo and we are still EBF. I'm planning on starting around 6mo. Check with your pediatrician for steps to take to introduce foods. You can also check out the Gerber website (www.gerber.com) and they have all kinds of info on feeding. (No, I don't work for them, I've only purchased a couple of their items, but I get these mailings from them that seem pretty informative.)
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 4:29 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• It might not be that she doesn't like it as much as she is resisting the new texture. If she is regularly pushing the spoon away from her mouth with her tongue, she may not be ready. My oldest started solids around 6 months and it took more than one introduction to really gage whether or not he actually like something or it was the texture. My younger 2 both started solids earlier, 4.5-5 months, as they saw everyone else eating and would grab my food. It is important to keep introducing a food that you feel they don't like because it may just because it is something new. And a new food should be introduced alone and only every 3-5 days to watch for allergies.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 4:35 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Between 4-6 months, although most feel 6 months is better. If the baby is pushing the food out with their tongue they are not ready. Also jar food is just for convenience, its not really the best thing, How often do you eat dinner out of a jar? My DD loves sweet potato (you can mix it with breast milk/formula), avocados( so good for them), mashed bananas and your food processor will become you new best friend. When my DD was around 9-10 months I would often throw whatever I was having for dinner into the processor for her.

Anonymous

• Super Baby foods is a great book to get as a reference on when to start what fruits and veggies. it also tells you how to cook them and when to start he raw. It is truly a awesome book!
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 5:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Six months. You can try a little avocado mashed with breastmilk. In addition to Super Baby Food, Baby Led Weaning is a great book. You can learn more from the websites: www.babyledweaning.com www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 8:51 PM on Dec. 9, 2009