My Baby is 10 months old and I have only had my period 3 times since birth....

Is that normal? The last time I had it was the whole month of august... have taken tests to see if I am prego & all neg. I only breastfed 6 weeks...Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It may just be taking some time for you body to adjust back to normal periods. It could also be b/c of the birth control you are on. Some make you have lite periods or no periods at all. If you are concerned any, talk to your doctor.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 4:43 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• system might not be cycling properly, they say ur body changes, I know I didnt have any problems afterward but I would get it checked out, because people who do this (w/o recently having a baby) have menstrual problems
    babygirl8302006

Answer by babygirl8302006 at 4:44 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I am not on birth control.... nor do I have insurance...:(
    Anonymous

• My periods were always normal before I had him...
    Anonymous

• Stress and PPD (post pardum depression) can result in erratic cycles. Also, have your thyroid checked. If you have hypothyroidism due to previous pregnancy or an acute inflammation of the thyroid you may need Synthroid for a little while to "kick start" your normal hormone production. See you OB/GYN and have a few more tests done.
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 4:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I did not have my period for over a year after giving birth. My Dr. said that it was because i was breastfeeding, & that it was very common for women to not have their periods when breastfeeding.

Are you breastfeeding?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:51 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• oh, you only breastfed 6 weeks. Then I'm not sure why, keep in touch w/ your gyno & try to get some birth control so that you're not always freaking out about the possibility of another pregnancy.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:52 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• With my first son I only pumped for 2 weeks while he was in the NICU and it took me almost 3 months to get my first period. With my second I tried pumping and wasn't getting anything. I started my period when he was 5 weeks old. Sometimes it just takes a while for everything to get settled.
    just1boy

Answer by just1boy at 5:03 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I never had a period until babies were about a year old. (bf 9mo, 5mo and 11mo)
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:30 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I'm having a similar experience. My daughter is 7 months now. I have had 2 periods and now on my third. This third one has been 3 weeks now! My doctor was suppose to call me back today but haven't heard from them yet. I let you know what they tell me. I do know it can take a year or so for your body to get back to "normal". So if you don't get "normal" soon, I'd find a doc to go to. There are clinics for women that are based on income, not sure what their called. Like a family planing center.
    littlefoot828

Answer by littlefoot828 at 6:57 PM on Dec. 9, 2009