Induction?

I am 39 weeks pregnant and for the past 4 weeks, I have been at a -3 station. I know that it is common for first time mothers to go late, but everyone that I talked to had already started to dilate when they were like 37 weeks. At my doctor's appointment today, they said that if I dont make any progress by next week that we would schedule an induction for the following week. Is it odd that I am not making any sort of progress by this point?

crice913

Asked by crice913 at 4:52 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• no its not////// you can go all the way to 42 weeks and nothing theyll induce if your that late but your fine nothing unual
    Anonymous

• It happens alot. My friend went 2 weeks past her due date, and she had NO signs of dialating or effacing, so they inserted a gel that softened her cervix. But don't worry, you still have time. IF you don't want induction, tell your doctor. As long as the baby isn'[t under any stress then there should be no problems. Take care and best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 4:56 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• no it is completely normal. i was .5 cm dilated at my appointment a couple days after my due date. my son was born at 41 weeks. i would refuse induction if i were you. there is no reason for it.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 5:24 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I was dialated and baby was at about -3 as well, didn't actually go into labour until 41 weeks....(that was baby #1)

inductions are hard and fast. (induced with #3)
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:29 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Unless there are other health concerns, I'd refuse induction. A baby isn't really late until 42 weeks, since the due date is really a lie. The full name for it is ESTIMATED due date, meaning the day they gave you is only a general, ball-park GUESS.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 5:35 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• With my second pregnancy, my last appointment was at 39.5 weeks; no dilation, no effacement, baby had not dropped. I went into labor 3 days later, and 8.5 hours after that had a baby. "Progress" means nothing until active labor.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 5:41 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• -3 station is still very high so you dont have much pressure from the baby's head pushing on your cervix. Once he/she drops then you will have more constant pressure that will work together with the BH's to hopefully help dilate you! If you arent making progress then DONT get induced! There is no reason to next week if your body isnt ready. I am pro-induction so that comment has NOTHING to do with my being one of those mom's who jump down anyone's throat who mentions inductions. I am saying that becuase if you are not ready and making no progress then there doesnt appear to be any reason to induce you. Let time pass (at least 2 more weeks) and see what happens.

I was 2 cm at 31 weeks and dilated 1cm every 2 weeks til I was 5 at 37 weeks and still made it to my induction at 38 1/2 weeks. My cousin was 1 cm at 37 weeks and had her baby the next day! It can happen literally over night or take months
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:53 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• There is no reason at all why anyone has to dilate prior to labor, you are normal. Posts like this are the reason why many of us are against vaginal checks, they are being used to push women into inductions and other interventions when the information is basically useless. Honestly inducing in your case is asking for problems, your body is simply not ready for it.
    You can go from 0 to 10 cm in a couple of hours but you can also walk around a couple of cm dilated for many many weeks, its not an indication of anything. Neither one of my babies ever dropped before labor, both came on their own in the 39th week, i have no idea if i was dilated or not because i don't get checked.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:28 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Nah, not at all. That happens for some women. My friend was just induced for the same reason. Don't worry about it
    Cierra-Jade

Answer by Cierra-Jade at 7:20 PM on Dec. 10, 2009