Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ok, so I am 38w, and uncomfortable, so my doctor agreed to induce me next week....

So, I guess this is an elective induction. I do not have to have one at this point, but if I do not go into labor naturally then I am going to be induced, approximately 5 days before my due date. I'm thinking if I can handle waiting I should, and thoughts?

I am 2cm, 80% effaced, and baby is in position (+1).... Any thoughts on anything to do to speed this up??


Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • Power walking - no breaks - 45 min to an hour at a time. Bring water! And a friend for encouragement!

    Answer by SandraB383 at 7:31 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • i would do it its only 5 days its not gonna hurt the baby dont you want the baby now why wait if you have a chnce not to have to wait go for it

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • Nipple stimulation will bring on contractions, it releases the hormone Oxytocin which stimulate contractions. Sometimes sex with and orgasm can bring on labor. But none of these will work if your body isn't ready. Personally I think waiting is best, for many reasons, but the main one is that I've heard that Pitocin (inducement drug) makes labor very tough. I was induced with my second child because I had High Blood Pressure, but I was already 4cm and 80% effaced and all the doc had to do was break my water. My first child, my doc stripped my membranes when I was 39 weeks and I had him the next day

    Answer by Zakysmommy at 5:01 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • Lucky! My doctor wouldn't induce me until I was a week late. Is this your first child? If it is, I say just wait and enjoy all the sleep you can get now 'cause after your baby is born who knows when you will get good sleep again. If its not your first child, I say go ahead and go ahead and do it.

    Answer by ABPeterson at 5:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • Your baby is quite low so thats a good sign that the induction might actually take (at that station they can just break your water, assuming you dilate more, and might not even have to have pit... thats what happened in both of my inductions) The 2cm at 38 weeks doesnt sound ALL that great:( Hopefully you start having more BH's that can help you dilate a little more. I am pro-induction but I personally wouldnt do it if you are still only 2 cm at that point... let your body get you a little further

    Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:18 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • hopefully the inductions works first time and they don't send you home! Good luck mama! i"m going to talk to my doc. about being induced on the 5th when he gets back from vacation my baby is due on the 12th. and the baby was already 4 1/2 lbs at 32 weeks, my last baby was 10lbs 8 oz. so i'm worried about the size. PLUS i wanna meet my little man!

    Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 5:22 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • well i think you are just asking for it with this question. lol. of course i think you should wait. inducing is risky for mom and baby. it is more likely your baby will experience distress. it is more likely you will have to have surgery. pregnancy lasts up to 42 weeks and that's just something we have to deal with. it gets uncomfortable at times. think about the health of your baby. think about your health. and wait a few more weeks. good luck!

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:22 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • you may want to verify your insurance will pay the max allowed amount on an elective induction. mine does not.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:22 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • I personally would wait the baby out, i was induced at 38 weeks, my baby only weighed 4 lb 15 oz.... You never really know what that extra 5 days could benefit your baby!

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • I wouldn't induce. SOOOO many complications come from people inducing, and it makes your rate of c-sections higher. I feel you, I'm 38 weeks too. Just hanging in there and waiting!

    Answer by jedwards2009 at 6:06 PM on Dec. 9, 2009