How do you compromise...

I like to eat healthy and care about nutrition. My boyfriend likes to drink tons of Mt. Dew and isnt up for trying lots of different and new recipes. I like to make all kinds of new things but he assumes he doesnt like it cause it isnt something his mom makes. Number one his mom is BIG and sits around wearing a mu-mu all day. I dont want to have 5 sticks of butter in our dinner. How do you compromise this...He tries to eat stuff to an extent but I really wish he was more opened minded and on more of a nutrition kick with me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:04 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Relationships

• there was a really good article in parents magazine over the summer that was about how to get kids to eat healthier. For example the first week they were eating regular tacos, the second week they changed over to chicken tacos and by the third week they were eating chicken wrap "tacos" and the kiddos still liked them cause the change was gradual. i guess treat him like a kid :)
    cakright

Answer by cakright at 5:08 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• First of all, you picked him, you're not going to change him.

Second, you can do stuff that IS healthy without him knowing. Ie: Scrambled eggs, do three eggs, but only one who egg and two egg whites, he'll never know the difference, and you've cut out a lot of bad stuff right there.
    Anonymous

Well i havent picked him all the way yet-he is still a boyfriend. Hope this isnt a deal breaker. I have hidden stuff and he seems ok with most changes, but maybe the problem is that I have to sneak nutrition in...wish it was a desire of his to educate himself and go after nutrition.

Really wondering if this is a problem with other couples.
    Anonymous

• "wish it was a desire of his...."
    make it benefit him in some way
    Anonymous

• I hear you on this...WHen I met my husband all he ate was chinese food and cheese steaks! Now he likes corn,broccoli, potatoes, asparagus and sometimes mushroms. It pisses me off beause yeah I blame his mother. She obviously didn't feed him vegetables when he was a kid! Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Just keep trying and tell him if he wants to eat crap, he can do it out of you home!
    Anonymous

• My DH eats crap all day and is as skinny as a pole.. he drinks about 10 cokes a day also.. I eat healthy.. He freaks when he knows im making healthy stuff.. so i usually dont tell him.. when i make meals, instead of ground beef I used ground turkey (he never even notices), I also add stuff like oats to hamburgers (again ground turkey) he has no idea ive added oats to it.. its good and healthy./.. I also make a lot of chicken which is great for you and he eats that.. but if im eating something to weird or to healthy I just make 2 seperate dinners...
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 5:39 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• me and my SO are the same way for the most part. im on a diet & hes not. i eat diet food, & he doesnt. thats just how we do it. when we order pizza, he gets a pizza & i get a chicken ceaser salad, etc.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:42 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• My husband was the same way, all he ate was junk food and probably a case of pepsi a day...it was ridiculous and of course he handed those bad habits down to my kids. I was able to take over my kids nutrition however, by simply not allowing them to have those things and teaching them healthy eating habits, now they prefer fruit over cookies...not to say they don't have the occassional ice cream or candy bar.
    My husband was much hard to convince even after blood pressure and cholestrol issues. However since I controlled the cooking - I stopped frying food, I stopped cooking with butter - no butter on anything or in anything. I found recipe for desserts that were more nutrious - he never complained and over time he started cooking this. He eats more vegetables - still hates brocolli and brussel sprouts but thats okay. Just keep educating him on the benefits, moderation and showing him how to incorporate it. Good Luck!
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 5:45 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• My hubby was the same way. So I made him cook dinner, it had to be healthy and a balanced meal. Now after nearing 10 years of marriage he is just starting to expand his pallet. At least with my hubby the more you push the more he pushes back. So if you are making dinner make something you think he will like and if he doesnt' try it then drop it. Keep making what you think he will like and he will eventually eat some thing. Make sure you do the shopping, get him his mountain dew and other must haves and don't buy the rest. Get food that has to be cooked. Maybe have him look through a cookbook or a website and pick some meals to try. They he would have more control. But the comment of you can't change him is true, you can't he has to want to change and you can't make him. Support him and help him other then that don't let it bug you.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 5:53 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Just treat him like a child. Sit him at the table and make him stay there until he eats. No? Okay, then just make something different everynight and make him a small plate. Have him try it and ask his honest opinion. My husband will eat whatever I make him, so I know he eats somewhat healthy. If it were up to him he'd eat snacks all day, and I mean sour gummy bears, fruit leather, pizza roles, and the-like.

Also. Stop buying things that are unhealthy. Then when he goes for a snack all there is, is healthy foods. He'll eventually get the hint and try some new things out.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:04 PM on Dec. 9, 2009