Gotta get some weight on these babies!! Any ideas?

I have boy girl twins who are 8 months old...They were 6 weeks premature and have been exclusively breast fed from the start..a couple months ago we realized they hadn't put on any weight and in fact had lost weight due to the flu..I got that lost weight back on them by nursing constantly, but since then they had experienced another set back for no apparent reason. They were anemic but once we corrected that they started to thrive again.
I am giving them their vitamins nursing constantly ( and I know I am producing milk) and mixing formula with their cereal..they just don't seem to be growing..I'm starting to really worry..Any suggestions would be appreciated.

feloniousbelle

Asked by feloniousbelle at 5:23 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• outstandinglove BRAVO! that was my little ones first food... it is soooo good for them (we had rotovirus and ds lost 3lbs when he was 9 months old, he was EBF & hadn't started solids yet... I had it too, it was soooo bad....) avocado is one of the LEAST reactive foods (meaning that it is HIGHLY unlikely to cause any allergic reaction). if you do start them on solids (the earliest any of mine had them was 9 mnths) avocado, sweet potato, hard squash, banana, and cooked who grain cereal like oatmeal (put dry oats in the blender before you cook them). you can add cold pressed EVOO to any food to up the caloric content, without having to worry that they are getting "bad" fats.

any word on what the ped thinks about their weight gain so far? my ds was a butterball until he got sick, and then when he did gain the weight back, he seemed to level off and didn't continue to gain much at all. but he was not "at risk" either...
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:34 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Do you feed them anything besides cereal? I would start them on veggies!!!

Also, talk to their doctor, see if he WANTS them on a high fat diet / gaining a lot of weight.
    Anonymous

• Feed them slices of avocado. LOTS of healthy fats right there. And safe enough for baby.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:25 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• how much do they weigh?

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:25 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• FORMULA...I know someone who had this same problem with breastfeeding.
    Anonymous

• more formula, even mixing it with breastmilk is okay. Also they are old enough to be eating baby food
    Anonymous

• ANON- they DO NOT need formula, there is NOTHING wrong with her milk, they had a setback. simple as that, and it was NOT caused by nursing. in fact, nursing HELPED them get back to where they are now. mom should be commended on her efforts!!!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:36 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• The doc does want weight on them...lost of it..they weight 10 lbs 5 oz (girl) and 12 lbs 5 oz (boy..so considering they are 8 months old they're tiny but wieghed only 4lbs and 5lbs 6 oz at birth..they folllowed their own little growth chart for awhile..although small they were growing well and then they actually lost (we were all sick with the flu) then found that they were anemic..we got over that but now seem to be stuck and I've started them on formula in their cereal (something I've said I'd never do) They've barely started on veggies and Im scared to do more because there's no fat in most of them and fewer calories than breast milk or formula...also I am producing a huge amount of milk so see no need to switch to formula if I can help it. I'll have to give avocadoes a shot...doubt they'll eat them though..they're pretty finicky.
    feloniousbelle

Answer by feloniousbelle at 5:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Just nurse them. No need for the formula even (unless you're using it for iron). Weight loss due to illness is normal... slowed weight gain in the second half of the first year is normal. You should be concerned if you see weight loss for no apparent reason, or if they aren't meeting milestones. You know why they lost weight and if they've just become active, you know why they've slowed. Try the avocado if you want... you might even try some stewed red meat for the fat and iron (and then cut out the formula and cereal as the iron in the meat is better absorbed).
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 5:45 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I'd say be sure you have plenty of healthy fat in YOUR diet too. The better nurished you are the better quality your breast milk will be. Avocados are great too. I'd ask the pediatrician for suggestions and possibly a referral to a nutritionist - I think they should be able to give you some guidance that will allow your babies to get the biggest boost from whatever foods you do add to their diets.
    Anonymous