stop cups at night

my just turned 2 year old still wakes up an dscreams for atleast 4 cups of milk at night, how did u stop this? how can I get him to sleep at night?

tattooedmomma23

Asked by tattooedmomma23 at 5:28 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my dd still wakes up for a cup of milk in the middle of the night and she's 3.5....it's not a big deal :)
    Anonymous

• sounds like he needs to eat more dinner, he shouldnt be hungry enough for 4 cups of milk through the night.
    try giving him water instead, tell him you are out of milk if you have to
    cakright

Answer by cakright at 5:30 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Thanks. we have 4 kids so getting up that much at night just isnt working anymore.
    tattooedmomma23

Answer by tattooedmomma23 at 5:37 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• He should be able to go the whole night w/o needing a drink. I stop my 17 mo old after dinner. She gets to finish what she was drinking with dinner and then nothing until breakfast. This has worked well for the last 3-4 months and we aren't soaking wet int he a.m. either.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:40 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• You can also give him a healthy snack between dinner and bed time. Not too late so it doesn't keep him up. I've heard that proteins keep you full longer. Then only give him water at night.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 5:46 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• honestly it is a comfort thing for him now..he no longer needs the milk at night. I would put water in it...milk at night is not good for them..it lets the sugars in it settle on their teeth
    Anonymous

• I have a hungry all the time-used to be up at night wanting milk 2 year old son too-what helped with me was to start drinking a lot of water during the day WITH him-lead by example.He wants to do what mommmy does. Bottled water makes it fun for them. I say OOOOh yuuuummmmy water! and now he LOVES water-he gets a cup of milk in the morning and one at night that is it. Also-allow him a before-bedtime snack with his milk that way he is going to bed on a full tummy. :) Maybe this will help.
    flowermom76

Answer by flowermom76 at 6:20 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• After he brushes his teeth before bed, all he should be having is water. Let him pick out a fun stainless steel sippy or water bottle to keep next to his bed.

Be careful about giving him too much milk; he may be getting too many calories from it and not getting enough nutrients.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:37 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Thank u ladies.
    tattooedmomma23

Answer by tattooedmomma23 at 8:54 PM on Dec. 9, 2009