Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anyone please!!! My husband has a nine yr old with his ex and has not seeing him for about four yrs. She always had an excuse as of why he could only c him 30 min or an hour. Anyways now she is married and wants him to sign his rights so her husband could adopt, my husband is current with childsupport

now my question is if he refuses to sign is there any laws that could force him to? He wants to see him but is afraid it might be too late. Any answers, or comments from anyone that has gone through this. And I have always accepted his son even though he doesn't know me.

Answer Question

Asked by mommyttc at 5:32 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

Level 3 (13 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • Nope, no law can force a dad to sign over parental rights.

    Answer by Nyx7 at 5:35 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • No-they can't make him sign his rights over. But he can take her to court and get visitation-if he has court ordered visitation she can't say he can't see him or only for 30 mins. If she did that it would be against the court and you can call the cops and they can enforce the visitation. We have had many issues with my SS bio mom and had to call the cops before bc she refused to let DH have his son on his time.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:39 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • no, he cant be forced. Sad to say but if it is too late and he already thinks of the other guy as dad then signing the papers would let your husband out of supporting a child he doesnt even know.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:41 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • Nope, you can't force a father to sign over his parental rights even if he is behind with child support and owes thousands in arrears, and willingly doesn't have contact with his child, I've tried.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • Unless he is abusive, neglectful, or in some way incompetant there is no law that can force him to sign his rights away. He can however force her to let him see his son. He has rights as the biological father. If your husband were to sign the papers you would no longer be obligated to pay child support. This is because that is him canceling out his rights as a father. He should go to court to get legal visatation rights to his son. He has a right to see him, and she should allow him his rights.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • If he cares about this child he needs to take her to court for proper visitation rights. No mother has the right to only let her child see a good father for 30 minutes. If he cares he has to stand up. To many men just let these type of women do what they want and never take control of their fatherhood.

    Answer by MamaChamp at 5:51 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • if he does sign he will no longer have to pay child support for the child. It may be worth it if she already has him calling someone else daddy and if he hasnt really been in the child's life...but if he feels he could'nt live with himself then i would fight for custody rights, if he werent able to get any then i would just sign over just so i wouldnt have to pay...if thats what she wants.

    Answer by shay1130 at 6:28 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • Unless he is proven an unfit parent, which is extremely difficult, he can NOT be made to give up his parental rights. He needs to fight for custody and visistaion and when she doesn't let him have his visits, he calls the cops and shows them the visitation agreement or he contacts the courts and she will be in contempt of court.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:07 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • No; and if he's truely interested he would be making calls about how to get visitation. I understand distances and problematic ex's; however that's no excuse for essentially emotionally abandoning your child. Your DH has some serious ground to make up for if he wants to save his relationship with his son.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

  • If she can prove abandonment, then yes the courts can terminate his rights. The real question is: If he really wants a relationship with his child, then why has he not gone to court to get a parenting time schedule in place?

    Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:55 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.