HOW WELL IS YOUR 1 YEAR OLD TALKING?

MY 1 YEAR OLD SUCKS HER THUMB, I HAVE HEARD THAT IT CAN SLOW THEIR SPEECH DOWN. I REALLY NEED TO KNOW OR GET INFO IF THIS REALLY EFFECTS HER SPEECH. IM IN THE PROCESS OF GETTING HELP TO HELP HER OUT CONCERNING SAYING WHAT SHE WANTS AND NOT JUST POINTING AT IT. HER VOCABULARY IS VERY, VERY LIMITED. *READ CAREFULLY BEFORE REPLYING, HAVE HAD MISUNDERSTOOD REPLY'S*

momma060809

Asked by momma060809 at 5:55 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• do you ask her "can you say ball?" when she tries pointing?
    the more you talk to her about EVERYTHING....now we will put on your shirt, now we will put on your socks....the more she will talk
    cakright

Answer by cakright at 5:58 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• My daughter doesn't say much and is very bright. She understands when I tell her most anything. She copies what I do after seeing me do it once. She says the regular things like mama and dada regularly. She sometimes says nana and pop pop for her grandparents. She points outside when i say cat and dog. Says woof woof when I say doggie and moo when I point to and say cow. I'm not so concerned with her talking as I am how well rounded she is becoming and her overall communication. Talk to her alot about any and everything. Read lots of books. My daughter handed me 4 books to read to her as soon as she woke up! And she always gets storytime before bed. Just feed her mind and don't worry just yet. :)
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 6:00 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• My kids have all been very slow to talk. My firstborn was the worst. He wasn't saying much until 2. So if you ask me, I wouldn't be worried!! Lol! My 14 month daughter talks the most at this age. She says da-da, dan'el, amen, mama, hi, bye, dendi. That's all I can think of. Like I said, she is the most "advanced" in her speech of all 3 of myt older kids. Ha ha. That's not saying much.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:05 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I should add that my dd is 13 months. I think her first words right before 1 were blue and "yewow"..meaning yellow. We went over colors alot. Whatever you talk to them about is what they will learn.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 6:07 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Many don't talk until closer to 2 y/o. Thumb-sucking can be a problem in older children. In a 1 y/o, it's normal behavior. I wouldn't worry. My son didn't talk until after 2 y/o, he's doing well now. Naming things helps a lot and reading books. She still may not verbalize until later on. By kindergarten, no one will remember how long it took. Be patient, Mama, she'll do it in her own time.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:27 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• My one year old says three words, so I don't think you should worry too much. If you have serious concerns, I would ask your pediatrician.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 9:39 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I think that when she is trying to talk to you I would just have her remove her thumb... but otherwise it shouldn't have a huge impact I don't think.
    When she points at something tell her what it is... like if she points to her milk, I would say something like, MILK, do you want your milk?
    As far as what my son could say... at 12 months he said about 15 words... now he's 16 months and he says 30 words.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:55 PM on Dec. 9, 2009