Are there any ways to help a young child (6) with anxiety? Any natural remedies, at home things ect that could help? I think my child may have a little OCD.

She is obesessed with her underwear being just right and she freaks about her vagina being wet. I told her that her body is supposed to be that way but she just can't let it go. She is so particular with how her clothes have to fit. She sometimes will be talking to you and if she thinks you are laughing at her she explodes, yells at you, cries and runs into the bathroom. Her obsessive thoughts about being looked at by other kids in funny ways or believing that strangers think she is stupid really concern me. Other than these things she is happy and productive. She loves to sing and dance and to be creative. She is warm and loving too. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:01 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my daughter had some ocd about her hands and face always being super clean...it actually wasnt about her hands or face at all...it was about keeping control of something, anything. i gave her some more responsibilities and choices about clothes and food and she kind of grew out of always washing. She was also super sensitive and would run off crying if she thought you were laughing...that was just her wanting to be accepted. all of this was when she was 5, she is 8 now and has no more ocd tendencies
    cakright

Answer by cakright at 6:15 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Well I would talk to her and see if her can tell you why she feels this way. Is there a kid at school or teacher making her feel bad. Plenty of exercise helps with anxiety. Other then that I would take her to see the school counselor and see what they say.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 6:16 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• For anxiety: http://rescueremedykids.com/

You should have her evaluated by a professional. It may be phase, or it may be a treatable condition.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:49 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• My son has an anxiety disorder and has never been medicated for it. Your child should be evaluated by a professional for diagnosis and treatment. My son had behavioral modification and play therapy.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:04 PM on Dec. 9, 2009