Have something positive to say about PA/ WIC/ Food Stamps?

A lot of moms on here get bashed for being on PA programs. Some people use PA for its true purpose: helping you get back on your feet when you are down. Let's celebrate tax paying, hard working families who use the system the right way.

I got food stamps when my house burned down. It was a short term thing, less time than the months it took to straighten things out with insurance and the fire investigators.

Anyone else have a positive story?

ecodani

Asked by ecodani at 6:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• my sitter had foodstamps bc of her disabilities. i think she had severe problems and deserved them, though i still think tooooooo many people and able-working bodies take advantage of the public systems to not work bc they are in my opinion completely freakin lazy!
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 6:41 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• LMAO this is a joke right?
    Anonymous

• My mom's only mistake was loving a man who refused to provide for us. He was a wonderful dad, but a crappy provider. Foodstamps kept me from going hungry as a child.

I'm really thankful it's around. I'm with the OP... let's celebrate that it's there for good, hardworking people who just need a leg up!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:44 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• My girlfriend uses WIC for formula. She also just spent 1,600 on micro dermabrasion.
    Anonymous

• I'd like to add, too, that PA should be available only for people who are willing to help themselves, or absolutely CANNOT provide because of disabilities (real ones). But I am grateful that I didn't have to be hungry as a chld because my dad sucked at keeping a job.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:46 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• My good friend gets food stamps because she is a mother of 5 and kicked out her abusive husband. She deserves them.
    Anonymous

• My husband lost his job in October and the company is fighting him getting unemployment. I'm a SAHM and student with one year to go, so we've had no income since mid-October. We have two kids, and the cupboards were getting bare. After 3 1/2 weeks we had no choice but to apply for food assistance. We also lost our health insurance (with no income we can't afford COBRA), so we had to apply for Medicaid. We probably qualify for a lot more, but that's all we've asked for. We had some savings, and we may have to live on student loans (which I will repay) until he gets a job.

Thank God that we do have these safety nets. This was completely unexpected and we've always had someone working in our home. Hopefully he'll find a job soon so we can get back to being self-sufficient.
    Anonymous

• My neighbors. They were in a car wreck that put him in a wheel chair for the rest of his life, and her in one as well until she worked through the physical therapy. She still has to use a cane to walk and can't stand for long, along with other issues caused by the wreck, so she can't work. He was in the hospital for nearly 5 months. Neither of them could work obviously, and along with their 3 biological children, they had full legal custody of his 4 younger siblings because his parents passed away. They were on Food Stamps, WIC for the little ones, and got Medicaid.

He is now working a full time job, with full medical, dental and vision benefits, and she's working from home. The oldest of his siblings also works and pays rent to help out. They are no longer on any PA at all, but they wouldn't have made it without it.

Not everyone is a money sucking jack@$$ on PA for the easy ride.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 10:15 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Yes, I can. Millions of children go to bed without empty stomachs and with a roof over their heads bc of programs such as these. That's positive enough for me. Anyone who would wish otherwise for these children has no heart, in my opinion.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 10:55 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I think they are great for people who trully need it. However people that are on it for more then a year unless its a disability or something like that where that cant work . I know someone whos husband works they dont really have any bills (she lives in a house her mother owns) and they go on trips all the time but is on food and everything else I dont think that is right. She stays at home and does go to school which is good and she has 4 kids and they get 700ish a month for food. She has been on it for 6 years
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Dec. 10, 2009