Need advice from WAHMs and SAHMs...

My kids (dd almost 5 and DS almost 3) go to preschool 2 days per week (it used to be 3), I usually go to the office 2 days and work from home as much as I can the other 3 days...due to our financial situation, I need to pull them out of school (which breaks my heart to no end) for about 6 months or so...that means I will be home with them every.single.day.for.6.months.straight. ACK. How do you all do it and keep your sanity? How structured are your days? What activities do you do to keep everyone busy, especially during the winter months? Help! Also keep in mind that portions of each day I need to focus on work as well. I really relied on preschool for the more extensive arts and crafts and all that, now I need to step up...need suggestions please.

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 6:44 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• omg, i'm in the same boat till i go to school in jan...it's going to be a long december for me. i only have one and needs a freakin playmate! good luck though, sorry i couldn't help you, but at least you know you are not alone in it.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 6:46 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I'm a SAHM..Wake up every early to start your work at home. I hate to say this , but 4am until 7am. Brake! Than make breakfast start laundry and etc. Bring out the paint or just what ever or try yarn for them to cut and glue to card broad. Go back to work around 10ish. Try computer games since it's cold outside, but they do need sun shine. Try working again until 2ish. Rest up some. Cook dinner in a slow cooker and make tons of salad. I can say it's easier said, than done on paper. Try and figure out the how the daycare worked for your childern. Call them up and ask what do they do at so and so time to give you a set time at your home. I wish you luck and i hope things turn around for you soon.
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 7:42 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Do you have any friends, neighbors or relatives you can share childcare with? I would have lost my mind without my local mom-network.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:44 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• i usually go to walmart once a month and get a package of regular white copy paper and a twenty four jar set of finger paints. my kids are 11,10,7,and 4 now so theres not so many to keep entertained. if you have a tile or lenolium floor set ouy some paint brushes an old towel and some paint and paper and let 'em go wild.tape them to the wall or fridge to dry and clean up floor with warm wet mop. or paint noodles and make necklaces out of them...thats fun too but the paint eems to be the kicker for mine.
    seej

Answer by seej at 9:23 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• also some churches offer mothers day off once a week maybe theres something like that in your area.
    seej

Answer by seej at 9:25 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• First of all, give up on your house being spotlessly clean. I put activities in every corner of my home: i.e., geography corner, paint corner, bug corner, dance/dress up corner, games corner, etc. Your days will be long and you must learn to take naps when they do. LOL. I get kids up at 7am for breakfast, then we do activity corners till 11, lunch (noon til 12:30), brief romp outdoors (1 hr), nap (1 hr), flash cards/interactive video games and then nap around 4:00. This schedule will require a lot of organization on your part, getting accustomed to less sleep, and preparing meals in advance. I work during the wee hours of morning and late evenings. I prepared syllabus for myself to better structure activities for kids and schedules for me. Pretty soon you'll develop your own flow. Definitely increases your patience and tolerance levels.

Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 10:19 PM on Dec. 9, 2009