Do you feel bad about lying about Santa Clause?

I feel a little guilty like we are lying to our kids. Does anyone out there tell their kids the truth?

lowencope

Asked by lowencope at 6:50 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I do feel guilty. As children learn about the world there is so much that is hard to grasp and seems unbelievable--think about death, sex, homeless people, divorce, etc. The first time you heard about it you probably could scarcely believe it. Kids rely on us to help them make sense out of the world. Who are they to doubt that Santa exists. Its not the only thing in the world that might seem improbable. If we perpetuate the fantasy we are in effect betraying their trust. So I do feel guilty. That being said, instead of outright dispelling the myth, I've instead simply chosen to downplay the whole thing and not perpetuate the myth. My ten year old knows the truth, of course. To my six year old, when she asks me direct questions I tend to answer "well, what do you think?" I think at a certain age you owe them at least the courtesy of not lying elaborately.
    Jemma4000

Answer by Jemma4000 at 7:53 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Nope. I dont...Ive actually tried to feel guilty cuz so many say you should, but I cant.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:51 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I don't feel guilty one bit... Believing in Santa Claus is a little bit of magic. They'll have to face the real world soon enough, why not give them some magic while we still can?
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:52 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• My son knows the truth but he also knows not to ruin it for other children who do "believe" in Santa.
    To me it's kinda the same way with believing in "Jesus" .. It's all factitious so I refuse to lie to my son about it all.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 6:54 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I believe in the magic of the season and they grow up so fast & that magic goes away. I know I have kids that are 32 & 29 then I have a 7 yr old now. I know it won't be long before the magic is gone again then it's not as fun anymore there really isn't anything wrong IMO in believing in Santa
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:55 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I'd feel guilty if I didn't allow my kids to believe in a little magic when they're children. I never believed when I was a kid, and while Christmas was still fun, I didn't get to experience the wonder other kids do.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:58 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO - I DO NOT!!! I still believe in Santa.

I don't consider Santa to be a "lie". To me Santa is the personification/embodiement of all the joy of the season.

A letter from 1897 is printed over and over each year; for good reason:

Dear Editor--I am eight years old. Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus. Papa says, 'If you see it in The Sun, it's so.' Please tell me the truth, is there a Santa Claus?"
    ---Virginia O'Hanlon

{cont'd below}
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 7:07 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Virginia, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the scepticism of a sceptical age. They do not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men's or children's are little. In this great universe of ours man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus! It would be as dreary as if there were no Virginias. There would be no child-like faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence.

{cont'd below}
    beachmamaof2

• We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies! You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas eve to catch Santa Claus, but even if you did not see Santa Claus coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that's no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

{cont'd below}
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 7:08 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• You tear apart the baby's rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived, could tear apart. Only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, Virginia, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Santa Claus! Thank God! he lives, and he lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.
    beachmamaof2