UCLA: Stem Cells Kill HIV

Now I know everyone has their opinions on stemcell research... but thought this was interesting.
By Neal Broverman

Researchers at the University of California, Los Angeles, made a stunning announcement Monday: Stem cells can be engineered to kill HIV.

The results, published Monday in the online journal PLoS ONE, demonstrate that human stem cells can be engineered into the equivalent of a genetic vaccine.

http://www.advocate.com/article.aspx?id=103765&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:%20AdvocatecomDailyNews%20(Advocate.com%20Daily%20News

Any thoughts?

Crissy1213

Asked by Crissy1213 at 6:56 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• That's great. What is not often known is that you do not have KILL to get stem cells. The same cells can come from cord blood and amnio fluid after the baby is born.

Anonymous

• Research like this is so far from the treatment process. Minimum 20 years before human trials could even begin. Stem cells seem to do just about everything, literally. My sister is a stem cell researcher at UCSF. She has worked on colon cancer projects. The technology to cure many things is in place but we're short on lab nerds!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:01 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I support stem cell research 100%, BUT..... I wonder how many cures will actually come of this? Stem cells seems to be miraculous in there ability to cure everything, but I think once research is actually completed, stem cells won't be as effective as they publicize. Researchers NEED to emphasize possible cures in order to get funding. What happens to a bunch of cells in a lab and what ACTUALLY happens in humans are two different things.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Researchers NEED to emphasize possible cures in order to get funding. What happens to a bunch of cells in a lab and what ACTUALLY happens in humans are two different things.
    _____
    Exactly, Funding such research is hard because of the way some stem cells are acquired. Also it is a BIG difference between lab studies on dishes and actual humans, like the few trials on humans I read some of the patients had developed tumors. So I think a lot of these factors are what keeps such research from even being recognized. I hope that they can be a cure all. To have a lame person walk because of this or a vaccine for HIV would be amazing. I know these findings will take MANY years to develop , be tested, and approved. But it is awesome that they are as close as they are.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 7:56 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• WOW< that's great!! Too bad it couldn't have come SOONER

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:12 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• It'll be nice if it's legitimate, but if it's not, it wouldn't be the first time they lied about the potential to gain support and donations. I see press releases and blogs re-posting the press release. I don't see corroboration. Maybe there will be more tomorrow, but it's been 3 days already.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:39 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• There are plenty of ways to obtain stem cells....if this is a reality, just think of how wonderful it would be. And stem cells could help with so many other diseases...such as Parkinsons and spinal cord injuries by using stem cells to rebuild tissues. This vaccination against HIV would be a miracle!!!
    Anonymous

• Anon :00, think of how many "wonder drugs" have been pulled off the market for causing more harm than good, or "miracle treatments" that cured nothing. I'm always skeptical of anyone who makes pie-in-the-sky predictions.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:43 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• How exciting!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Dec. 10, 2009