when did your baby start holding his or her bottle?

I'm not complaining about having to hold and feed her i would still probably do that every once in a while but it would be convenient if she could hold her bottle when I couldn't just sit and hold her.

mommy16love

Asked by mommy16love at 7:00 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son is four months and he likes to hold it on his own. Of course that doesnt mean I give him the bottle and let him feed himself! I hold it at the right angle lightly and he just grabs it.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 7:19 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Sorry but "convenient" is not in a baby's vocabulary and usually isn't a big part of motherhood. You are her mother and need to take the time to sit and feed baby. There are numerous reasons why it is not right nor advisable to leave a child to self feed.

Anonymous

• lmao ok anon I know you have the time on your hands to do everything that needs to be done when it needs to be done,I envy you i wish i could be as perfect a mother as you.
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 7:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I never let my children eat while on a bottle without holding them. I normally held their bottle. You gave up convenient when you became a mom. Even if they insisted on holding their own they were held, and not allowed to have it when not held. Made breaking them much easier as well.
    Anonymous

• According to my daughter's occupational therapist she should be able to hold her bottle now, at 8 months corrected. We never let her hold her own bottle, so we don't know if she can or not. The key developmental milestones you are looking for with regards to holding her bottle is 1-the arm strength to hold up the bottle, 2-the dexterity to keep a grasp on the bottle, and 3-the cognitive ability to understand how to tilt the bottle. There really is no way to make any of these happen before the child is ready.
    Gooberzilla

Answer by Gooberzilla at 7:57 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• My daughter is 5 months and she's getting good at holding hers. I think it's the cutest thing to see because she acts like she's proud of herself and actually does a pretty good job tilting it.
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 8:12 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• my son never held his own bottle, maybe 1 time but then he started a cup!.. But i loved it! Great time to bond!
    Anonymous

• I'm not trying to make her do anything! believe me I'm not rushing anything my daughter does i love feeding her i was just asking when babies usually start holding bottles..
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 8:54 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• My Ds was 3 months when he started holding it with his arms but you had to prop him up. I would love if he would let me hold and feed him but nope hes 1 now and he doesnt let anyone feed him or cradle him. but he does give great hugs and very bitey kisses!!
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 9:21 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• My son never held his. Never held a sippy cup, either. We had to start him on straw cups instead, because he would never tip the cup/bottle up. (He could, and would tilt a straw cup -- go figure -- he just wouldn't tilt a bottle. I think he just wanted me to hold it for him. He was lazy. ;) )
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2009