Which one of these ads do you find more offensive?

I don't know if the coupon section of a Sunday paper is universal or not but these two ads were in The State newspaper which is published in South Carolina. I really can't make up my mind as to which offends or disagrees with me more.....

The first one is an ad for Jack Daniels where you can save up to $20. $5 off of 2 bottles, $10 off of 3 bottles and $20 off of 4 bottles. I disagree with the advertisment of alcohol. I think the tv commercials, ad slicks, billboards and the like, glamourize alcohol use. How about a real ad featuring someone heaving over the toilet, popping aspirin with a pounding headache the next day? Alcohol is much more dangerous than cigarettes, and yet those ads are banned. (Right?)

The second ad is for Farm Rich Mozzerella sticks. There is a little girl of about three wearing a cute green outfit screaming her head off. The caption says: Kids. Can't return 'em, might as well feed 'em.

WTH?!?!

WindyTheWidow

Asked by WindyTheWidow at 7:50 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't find either one offensive. But I also don't agree with other posters telling you to get a life if you happen to be offended. You are entitled to your opinion, whether I agree with it or not.
    clairandamjones

Answer by clairandamjones at 3:28 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I wasn't sure where to post this......
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 7:52 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• well, since i do enjoy a stout beam & coke every now and then... and i have been known to say things like that about children in general (jokingly) AND i live in sc... no, i'm not really offended. i am more offended by the fact that we live in a blue law county, so you CAN'T buy jack on a sunday... no, i don't agree with advertising alcohol in a glam way, but for sales purposes- it is like anything else. some people over do it, and they will continue to even if the ads are banned.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:54 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Probably the kids one.

I mean drinking alcohol is a against my religion even, but the idea of hating on kids like that seems much worse to me.
    Anonymous

• The first one is an ad for Jack Daniels where you can save up to $20. $5 off of 2 bottles, $10 off of 3 bottles and $20 off of 4 bottles.
    ________
    I would buy at least 6 bottles of jack for our Christmas party.
    _________
    BUT the child ones is out there. It is like saying don't discipline your kids just feed them to shut them up. Its like a Childhood obesity promo.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 7:59 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I noticed the Jack Daniels one but not the Mozzarellasticks. Here is my take on it- If I remember correctly, your husband died because of alcohol. For that I am sorry, and I hope I don't offend you. Not everyone has an alcohol addiction though. Most people know when to stop. My husband loves beer and certain types of liquor. It is his way of winding down after a hard day's work. We only buy liquor once a year, around Christmas, and I actually clipped the Jack Daniel's coupon out because I planned on buying him 2 bottles like I do every year. So, I can see why you may take offense to it, but others won't. As far as the Mozzarella coupon, I think they were trying to be funny but missed the mark on it.

Anonymous

• I don't see that ad as "hating on kids". Holy cow, talk about exaggeratinmg! EVeryone will; joke about that kind of thing once in a while. And what's with the "Hating on.." phrase? How about avoiding extremes? The liquor ad is more offensive to me because usually when people drink alot they do some awful things and they are mean and arrogant.
    Anonymous

• Anon 8:03. You didn't need to post Anonymous. I do not take offense to your opinion. I freely admit to being overly sensitive to alcohol and I do understand that there are more people that can consume it responsibly than there are alcoholics. My point was more the irony in comparison to cigarettes. As for the second ad, I get that they were trying to be funny, but they definitely missed the mark IMO.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 8:10 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Cigarettes kill more people than alcohol. Most people enjoy alcohol responsibly. Buying a bottle of liquor or wine is a common easy Christmas gift, so many people do buy in bulk this time of year. The mozzerella stick one is just trying to be funny.

http://www.co.orange.ny.us/documentView.asp?docID=3005

Anonymous

• Meh-my thoughts on alcohol are too complicated to delve into. I could argue both sides of the alcohol ad issue equally well.

I think everyone is totally overreacting to the one about the kid though. It's just supposed to be funny obviously. No need for people to get their knickers in a bunch over something lighthearted and silly. If you didn't think it was funny, fine. That doesn't mean it was offensive.
    Anonymous