How do you know if baby has sore throat (strep throat)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:53 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Kids' Health

• It is very rare for children under 2 to get strep throat. If you think that they may take them to the doctor.
    Anonymous

• I think only the DR can tell you
    Anonymous

• My DS had a virus back in May when he was about 8 months old. I suspected a sore throat because he kept rubbing and scratching his neck and wanted to nurse/drink more. The DR confirmed it by looking into his throat which was red and irritated.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 7:59 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• You can sometimes see puss in the back of the throat. Only way to know for sure is with a throat culture. Call your doc, it only takes a second.
    Anonymous

• Most kids under the age of 2 do not get strep, there are viral infections out there that mimic strep throat and the only way to tell the difference is with a throat culture.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:19 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• The ONLY way to know if someone has strep throat (which is much different than a sore throat) is to have a throat culture done.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:14 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Babies can have things like cough, post nasal drip or an ear infection that cause a sore throat. I can tell when mine does because he'll dirnk a ton of juice and force a growl/cough, almost like to scratch his throat. I also have noticed that he'll scretch his neck a few different ways, not sure why but when he's got a cold he does that. Good luck!
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 3:59 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• If your child has strep then they will most likely (as an infant or toddler) have a fever along with it, wont want to eat or drink and will be drewling ALOT becuase they wont want to swallow. The only way to tell for sure is to have the doctor do a throat culture but if you can get him/her to open their mouth wide enough... shine a flashlight in there and see if you see white dots. White dots TYPICALLY signal strep whereas red signals tonsilitis or coxsackie virus.

BUT children under THREE (alot of people are saying 2 but I have been told 3) hardly ever contract strep throat
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 6:35 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• they have fever of 103, green snot, coughing and clingy to you. thats what my son did and he was 17 months
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:53 AM on Dec. 11, 2009