How can I get my 2yr old to listen?! I have tried timeouts, using a forceful voice, spankings...I don't know what else todo

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Here's how I get by: Get down on their level when disciplining. Try not to always use "no" and "don't." Praise them when they do stuff right. Ignore some stuff - they stop doing it when they don't get attention for it.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 9:32 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I guess I don't expect my dd to listen. Not to say that I don't demand it of her, but I know her limitations and will punish her accordingly. I never spank because of how it effected me as a child so I've never touched my kid and she behaves fairly well. We do time outs, but we put her on the floor to physically make her low, and don't engage her. I always say "we don't ___" and then put her on time out. We wait 30sec to a min and then ask her "Do we ___? (give chance to answer) No. we don't. No ___" and then give her a hug. I pick my battles and am as consistant as possible- that's huge. If she repeats a behavior quickly, I try to remove her from the situation or redirect her if her behavior isn't dangerous (and almost never punish her for just being annoying- it usually just means I'm tired and that's not her fault). In the few times she's still bad, we put her in her crib and leave for five minutes. This is after many...
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:45 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• ...attempts to do other things. But I think the biggest issue is that you need to make sure you have realistic expectations and are helping him to listen. If you want him to pick up his toys, you're going to have to help and specifically give him a job like putting them in the bucket- anything else it too vague. Things like that. And really celebrate his successes. It helps remind both of you that he's a good kid and makes him more inclined to behave and you more able to tolerate behavior that may not be poor listening, but just a worn out parent trying to get some peace. There's really no such thing as a "bad" two year old, so its really important to make sure you're being specific, simplistic, consistant and teaching him first, correcting second.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:51 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I always say "we don't ___" and then put her on time out. We wait 30sec to a min and then ask her "Do we ___? (give chance to answer) No. we don't. No ___" and then give her a hug.

This is how we do it. She get taken to time out and told why she is there; and why it is not acceptable. Then before she can get up we talk about why she was there and if she understands...then she gets a big hug and a kiss and we're on to new things.
    Anonymous

• I mean really she's 2 - they only have so long of an attention & retention span. They're going to make the same mistakes over and over - at this point as frustrating as it can be at times; consistency is the key; even if you feel like you've told her the same thing 10 times in a row...just keep on with it and the stage will pass
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Dec. 10, 2009