What if the difference between a mid-wife and a doctor handling your preg/delivery?

This is my second time around and I am thinking of going with a mid-wife this time. Has anyone went with a doc with one preg and a mid-wife with another. How do they differ? What if I change my mind and want an epidural, can a mid-wife order that? Can someone step in if I need the forceps (again)? I get really anxious with docs and have a feeling mid-wifes would take more time to explain, etc. I really have a severe blood pressure phobia. it goes high when the docs take it. esp since they rush u in the room and take it first thing. do mid-wives handle that differently? any help or advice would be great!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had a midwife for all 3 of my kids. They are more sensitive to the woman's needs, IMO. I still see one for my yearly exam. Their philosophy is natural and not so "medical." I had my kids in a hospital, but midwives can birth in the home. That was not for me. I also had natural and with an epidural deliveries. I did not let anyone dictate what I wanted. Check out the midwives in your area.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 8:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• It all depends on the Midwives and OB's. I had an OB for my first pregnancy and many midwives for my second. Some were nice and I liked them, others were nazi's. But I adored my OB that I had with my first pregnancy, he was the best
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:39 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• It depends on where you get your midwife. I had a doctor for my first delivery and a midwife from the practice for my last two. Nothing was different. With my 2nd pregnancy the midwife wanted to induce me. With my last pregnancy she ordered that I get pitocin and let me get an epidural. With my last one she was also threatening a c-section. So, I don't really consider her what a "real" midwife persay might be. I like her and we get along, she listens when I say no, so I really appreciate her but I think of her as a doctor as far as her methods go.
    Anonymous

• Midwives, in general, will take more time with you, and will do fewer interventions. It totally depends on where you're delivering, as far as what they can do with epidurals and forceps. Many places don't even use forceps anymore. If you're at a hospital, you can probably still get an epidural if you decide to get one, but a midwife will help you with more ways to keep it natural.
    Either way, you can write a birth plan, and make it clear if you want to try to keep things as natural as you can, or if you want them to try to talk you out of an epidural if you ask for one, etc.
    Any health care provider that makes you uncomfortable should send you looking for a new one, midwives included.
    Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:50 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• some midwives are horrible and some OBs are great, but in general, midwives will be more in tune with natural birth and your needs. forceps delivery is highly unlikely to be "needed" in a normal birth where you are free to move around and use different positions, and if things are not rushed. if you have a hospital birth, it will not matter if you have a midwife or an OB, it will matter if the hospital has epidurals available. but then again, having an epidural might increase your chances of "needing" forceps.

you will have to interview different OBs and midwives and ask them specifically about their philosophy on birth, interventions they can do, and when they would do them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Ive had both, and honestly, I will NEVER go to an OB again.
    A midwife takes more time to listen to you and explain things to you. My appt's with the OB were 5 minutes. With my midwife they're up to an hour. He (yes he's a MALE midwfie! Lol) really takes time to make sure all my concerns and questions are adressed.
    Midwives are much more supportive during birth. They stay by your side the whole time instead of just popping in like an OB. If you deliver in a hospital you can still get an epidural (CNM's can do everything an ob can except for a c/s). But the chances of you "needing" one are lower because you'll have encouragement and support.
    I have so much more I could say...But im running out of room...so please feel free to PM me if you'd like :-D
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 12:40 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I don't exactly know the huge difference between the two, but I know midwifes have their own way of handling things and their own techniques. I'm sure if you asked for an epidural you'll get one. I will never go with a midwife tho.. they just seem a lil misinformed than an OB. doc. I really think you should go with an OB doctor instead.. A girl that posted a questions earlier on this site said she is 38 weeks pregnant and she believes her water broke and so she went to her midwife and told her that she believes she broke her water and the midwife just sent her home saying be careful. That's ridiculous and ignorant. Everyone knows you have to be admitted to the hospital within 24 hours of your water breaking and that stupid "So called doctor" sends her home without a clue. But It is your choice and totally up to you on how you feel the two differ. Good luck to you :)

Cierra
    Cierra-Jade

Answer by Cierra-Jade at 6:54 PM on Dec. 10, 2009