What is the difference between a doctor and a mid-wife handling your preg/delivery?

This is my second time around and I am thinking of going with a mid-wife this time. Has anyone went with a doc with one preg and a mid-wife with another. How do they differ? What if I change my mind and want an epidural, can a mid-wife order that? Can someone step in if I need the forceps (again)? I get really anxious with docs and have a feeling mid-wifes would take more time to explain, etc. I really have a severe blood pressure phobia. it goes high when the docs take it. esp since they rush u in the room and take it first thing. do mid-wives handle that differently? any help or advice would be great!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• TOTALLY different way of handling things.... i LOVED my MW (the last one was a waterbirth, and was awesome!). they look at birth as a natural process, not a medical condition. tend to make time to spend talking about any and every preventative measure that you can take to ensure health and wellness for the duration, are generally non invasive (don't like to do unnecessary exams), and highly respectful of your wishes/quirks.
    they tend to take more time to make sure that momma is ok- not just baby, and not just physically. Sandy would call out of the blue to make sure that i was walking and hydrating, spending time in my garden and not getting cabin fever (we lived in the stix)... they are a totally different breed. if you're interested in a closer relationship with your care provider, someone that has your genuine best interest at heart- i would say you should start interviewing.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:50 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• my last baby was born at the local birth center (carolina waterbirth, attended by Cynthia "Sandy" Glenn)... i searched until i found a MW that was "right" for me- she was like the big sister type, and very laid back. didn't fret over small stuff, and always kept me on my toes. an average visit took about 45 minutes (maybe 3 of that spent waiting), got to know me, my ex, the kids, and did home visits too. with a MW it is a relationship built on trust and mutual regard- it is a granted that they take any situation seriously (that should be) but generally allow things to run their course if it appears normal.
    with my last one, i labored for 8 days- he was doing fine, so was i- if i had been under a physicians care, i would have had an unnecessary c-section. he was born pink, happy, and never cried... was just peaceful.
    look into your options. if a hospital feels "safe" to you, then this is not the route you should take.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:55 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I had a mid-wife and she was like a better husband (mine was away with the army) she would call and check on me she answered every question and made sure I felt good about everything before I left her office. They always take your blood pressure first thing so just get used to that. When I was induced she was with me the WHOLE DAY. most docs are just there for the push push push and wam baby. She spent the whole day pretty much in my room. and she didnt have so many patients that she couldnt take care of me. I had an epi-dural she ordered that just fine and if I had needed a c-section she would have been the one to do it. I love my mid-wife I will never switch!!!
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 9:19 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I used a mid wife. A doctor had to be called in during the final 5 minutes of my delivery to vacuum out my son. If a dr. is needed they will call one in (if you are at a public hospital)
    Anonymous

• Far better than the jiffy lube service of an OB. I saw an OB for two appointments and was disgusted at being talked down to and rushed through appointments and having brochures for a thousand unnecessary tests shoved at me. With a midwife its different. They are your advocates and your partners, but it is you who is the master of birth. My appointments were mellow and my blood pressure the lowest I've ever seen it taken. I took my own weight, got to see the pee sticks, asked questions, was never rushed and I could take the full hour she set aside or take 10 minutes. It was up to me. She also used the fetoscope rather than a doppler. NO vaginal exams and no push for them since they mean nothing. However, not all midwives are created equal...some of them are no better than OBs.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:26 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• If you want to decrease your chances of wanting an epidural or needing interventions then there are things you can do that a midwife can help you with. Like positions that are NOT supine (on your back is the worst position to be in -- squatting for examples opens your pelvies 30% more while being on your back narrows it); massage, pressure points, water, and self-confidence. Also no vaginal exams those numbers mean absolutely nothing and can really hinder you and stress you out (stress is bad for labor). Your midwife and/or a doula can be on the front lines to be sure no one harasses you.

Really do your homework! I recommend a thinking woman's guide to a better birth by Henci Goer
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:30 AM on Dec. 10, 2009