10 months old top tooth coming in and looks bad. Does this sound normal?

My baby is 10 months old and has 2 bottom teeth and the 1st top tooth, I think, is coming in. For a week it looked like that top tooth was about to break through. Then this morning I checked it and there is something sticking out of his gum or on top of his gum, but it's not a white tooth. its' very fleshy and purple and red. Tonight I checked it again and it's gotten a little bit bigger.

I don't know if it's supposed to look like this. He isn't running a fever, but I've given him baby motrin cause he is a little fussy. I'm afraid it might be infected. I know I might sound silly. But I am planning on calling the pediatrician in the morning. I just want to make sure it's just the tooth and not something serious.

Are baby gums supposed to look like this when I tooth comes in? Maybe because these top ones are bigger??

crystal1480

Asked by crystal1480 at 9:04 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• hmmm can't remember anything like that. Two of my kids did have permanent teeth coming out sideways on the top above some of their baby teeth. I have taken my kids to pediatric dentists at different times. There are also pediatric oral surgeons all through different children's hospitals and larger hospitals. It could just be a bad gum inflammation from one tooth having trouble coming through. Your ped will know how to guide you, they're usually very good with advise and referrals when necessary.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 9:15 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• 1 of my 3 had the same thing happen with his upper teeth- he already had bottom teeth, and he was grinding the bottom ones against the top gum. it first formed what looked like a purplish bruise, then it turned into a blister, then it popped and looked really, really nasty! i did take him to the ped, because i was worried, and Stephen (our ped) chuckled because their dd had just had the same thing happen, and his wife had flipped out and driven across town to bring her to the office earlier that day.

i'm not saying it couldn't become infected, but apparently it is a lot more common than i had thought. as long as he isn't running a temp, is eating/drinking alright, i wouldn't be overly concerned... that would not indicate infection. just teething discomfort. i experienced something quite the same when i was cutting my wisdom teeth a few months ago! BLESS MOTRIN!!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:20 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• What ObbyDobbie said. It happened with our youngest just like described. But his wasn't gross when it popped through. I agree I wouldn't worry unless his gums get hot to the touch or he becomes really fussy.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 9:39 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Follow up - I'm writing a follow up, cause when I answer questions on here I always wonder what happened.

We saw the pediatrician today AND were lucky enough to find a wonderful pediatric dentist who saw him today. The pediatrian said we shoudl see the dentist and the dentist said it is a ruptured hematoma. That it is common, but usually happens with the molars. That is shouldn't be surprised it it happens when one of his molars comes in.

Get this, when she looked at it it looked better than it did 2 hrs before! It figures. So it was just hanging there by a little bit of skin and she pulled it off. He was more upset that he had to lay down than from it coming off! No bleeding or anything. Thank God he's alright and it was nothing bad!
    Thank you ladies for making me feel better last night. It really helped, I would of been up all night worried!

Thanks!
    crystal1480

Answer by crystal1480 at 4:25 PM on Dec. 10, 2009