Breasts leaking

I am 20 weeks exactly and noticed that my breasts are already leaking colostrum (Sp?), which I know is normal. My question is this...

This is my first baby, first pregnancy and I have no idea what to expect or do when it comes to certain things. I asked my mom but she didn't leak at all with me nor my sister. What do I do for the next 20 weeks about the leaking? Will it get to be more as time goes on? Are there pads or something I can put in my bras so it doesn't go through to my shirts? ANY help would be more than greatly appreciated.
~Brittany

MommaRikard

Asked by MommaRikard at 9:23 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My breasts leaked......I would wake up in a puddle. When I was BF instead of using nursing pads I just uses regular pads for periods (your case you may just need a panty liner) and cut them in half and put it in my bra. Nursing pads are expensive and made me itch SO BAD!! and period pads I didnt and they absorbed the milk so much better!
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 9:28 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• You can buy breast pads! I didn't leak with my son til I was like 38 weeks. With this pregnancy I started leaking at about 12 weeks, it lasted about a week, and it comes goes. Good luck!
    Amy75972

Answer by Amy75972 at 9:29 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Hey Brittany, I was as far along as you in my pregnancy when I started leaking. The first time was on Christmas morning so now we joke about the "Christmas Miracle." Basically, I leaked all the way til the end, and then comes the milk and more leaking! YAY!
    There are thin pads you can buy in the baby section at walmart. I only had to wear one pair a day before I gave birth. When my milk came in I had to buy the thicker pads and was changing them multiple times a day.

good luck!
    bootsky

Answer by bootsky at 9:30 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• i am almost 23wks and i have noticed im leaking a lil clear stuff...not much and its only on days that my boobs itch alot...so you are not alone..this is my first baby and im learning too..i think the idea of panty liners as previous poster said was a neat idea...i would try that..good luck and congrats on your baby
    Anonymous

• You may wanna consider pumping this and freezing. Think of the wonderful benefits to your newborn? You've already gotten some great answers about using regular sanitary pads that absorb so much better than nursing pads and are cheaper.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 9:53 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Yeah, definitely pads in any baby section of most stores. You can get washable cloth ones, or disposable ones.

I personally found the disposable ones to be more effective against lots of leaking (with the plastic lining and all), but the cloth ones we're way more comfy, so I wore them anytime leaking was low.

Nothing wrong with the period pads idea either.

Just figure out what's comfy and what works for you.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:25 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• If you have any old towels that have started fraying, you can cut them up to the right size and use them to line a bra at night. I'm at 23 weeks, been leaking off and on for a few weeks, and while I'm not producing enough yet to need to line my sportbra, that's my plan for when it gets worse.

I was a little grossed out the first time. Woke up to a puddle of cold milk on the sheet. DH woke up with me, and was excited about it! He was all happy that my breasts worked. I definitely appreciated the sentiment, but it was kind of weird at 3 AM...

Good luck!
    kestrelscall

Answer by kestrelscall at 11:34 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• You can get breast pads anywhere you can get baby stuff (ie Babies R Us, Target, etc). Just be sure to get ones that don't have plastic on one side, so that air can still get in.
    It's perfectly fine that they are leaking. It may increase, it may not, either is normal. Breast pads are the way to go! Good luck! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:35 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Thanks for all the answers. They've really helped a lot.

My husband is so entirely grossed out about all these things. He thinks its disgusting, which makes me feel terrible. I try to tell him it's a beautiful part of us having a fbaby, but he doesn't seem to agree or understand how much it hurts me to hear him say these things. That's mainly why I wanted to make sure I knew what to do about protection from leaking through my clothes...so that he doesn't say anything to embarass me. You all have no idea how much you have helped. At 22 I'm still fairly naive and don't always know what to expect.
    MommaRikard

Answer by MommaRikard at 12:06 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I liked the Lanisoh brand of nursing pads cause they have stickers on the back so they stay in place which is helpful if you move around a lot in your sleep.
    And also, I wanted to say that I would NOT pump!! Nipple stimulation can cause pre-term labor so I'd hold off on that.
    Oh...and your husband is being a jerk! I'm sorry that he is being that way....
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 4:35 PM on Dec. 10, 2009