Toddler out in the snow with no mittens = call to CPS?

I live in upstate NY, and today it was about 30 degrees out, and lots of snow on the ground.

I took my 17 month old out on a walk, but she didn't want to keep her mittens on her hands. So I stopped fighting with her. She scooped up snow and realized how cold it was, and brushed the snow off of her hands (using MY pants!!). When I saw that her hands were turning red, I brought her inside. We were out for no more than 15 minutes.

Would someone call CPS on me because my daughter wasn't wearing mittens? I know this must sound like a stupid question, but I'm so afraid that some "CPS-happy" mother will call the authorities on me.

Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• lol, i see no reason for it. and CPS would probly just laugh. sometimes kids just need to learn from their own experience, and sounds to me like she did! lol
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:31 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I do nt think so.

Answer by louise2 at 9:30 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I sure hope not, my 2YO won't wear his mittens either...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:31 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• i wouldn't sweat it! mine hate to wear mittens, and the world will not end over bare snow touching!

i will say THIS though- a lot of crazies will call CPS over NOTHING. I had a social worker knock on my door, and then immediately apologize for being there, because she stated that it was a ridiculous claim, but they were still obligated to check it out. in short, one of my neighbors who had given religious info to my child, called when i returned it to them, and politely asked that they not do it again- i do not want them exposed to religion. Mrs******** was 90+ years old, and believed that i was sending my children to satan! lol people DO call for stupid crap... but hey, i live in the bible belt- and i'm a yank so i'm not well liked!

don't sweat it! its just a couple minutes in the snow, no harm done.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:34 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I don't think anyone would....but I know there are some wacky women here at CM who love to talk about calling CPS orr the police. Kinda nutty. But I doubt the mitten issue would be a reason. DOn't worry!
    I never even knew there was a CPS until I started reading the comments here at CM. WHat is the deal????
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 9:37 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• WHere in Upstate, NY? I'm in Massena. I'm sick of the snow already! =)

Anonymous

• OP

Binghamton
    Anonymous

• I'd say definitely not. My 2 year old likes to experience different things, and try as I might to keep his mittens on... he can't work his hands the way he wants to with them on... so they come OFF!

I would say if you were out for an extended period of time, it may be worth the battle. But I'd say NO... you are safe!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 9:54 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• They can call, but I highly doubt anyone would come out. Here in CO it has to be a pattern of neglect for a case to be opened. You can send your child to school without a lunch one day, but more than a few days and thats a pattern. As far as abuse, you only need one incident for them to open a case. No mittens would fall under neglect (not in my book, but possibly in someone elses) and since it was a one time thing- you can rest easy- not very likely anyone will come knocking at your door.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:56 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I should hope not.
    People are too damn nosy and don't seem to understand what is worthy of a call to CPS anymore.
    Most toddlers won't keep their gloves on.
    Anonymous