Cutting out milk, need advice (Breastfeeding)

I am wanting to cut out milk products to see if that will help with DS having a really hard time moving gas and/or poo. My question to the mom's that have done this, did you just cut out the obviouse milk products ie: milk, cheese, ice cream and milk chocolate? Or did you go very detailed about it?

I really want to do this and it's gonna be really hard since cheese is a bigger part of my diet, though I couldn't tell you why. Any help would be great!

Jessie1689

Asked by Jessie1689 at 9:37 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i didn't fret over little teenie things, but did completely cut out all of the obvious sources. make a huge impact, for ds & for me! i never knew that i felt icky from dairy until i HAD to cut it out.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:43 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• You can move to soy dairy products. I'm sure they have all sorts of soy based products, even cheese. Talk with your child's Pedi first before doing this to see if they recommend any healthy alternatives to your choice.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:06 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I'd start with the big, obvious sources of dairy. Then move on to anything containing casein. Soy might be an alternative, but many people who have problems with dairy also have issues with soy.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:12 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I started out taking out all of the obvious stuff which helped a little buuut there are a lot of things that you wouldn't expect to have milk in them! (Rice a roni is one culprit if I remember correctly...who would have thought?) I didn't start to get picky until cutting out the obvious didn't seem to be doing the trick. Soy also made my daughter gassy so be careful of that too.
    AutumnsMom31309

Answer by AutumnsMom31309 at 11:17 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I did everything... all hidden dairy, baked goods, etc... to really see results, you may have to do this. You can try adding back the less obvious sources to check for sensitivity, but my guy couldn't handle that until about 18 months.

I just cut out basically everything that wasn't labeled "vegan", or containing more than 3-4 ingredients that I knew what were. I made everything from scratch and used substitute milks (almond and rice, mostly). Just read labels... get really acquainted with what is in your food. It's a great learning experience! :)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:58 PM on Dec. 9, 2009