Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone have a good letter format for asking a school district for an IEP or 504 plan? Thanks so much!!

Answer Question

Asked by moniquemomma at 9:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 2 (8 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • You honestly don't need to submit any letter to the district. All you are required to do is tell the teacher and principal you want a 504 meeting, state your reasons,and they have to give you one.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • Our district requres that the request be in writing. Additonally, our son's teacher has advised us that the process will move much more quickly with a well-written letter. We are also asking for additional academic evaluations be done on our son by the district. I'm just wondering is anyone has a simple format that they have used for this purpose.

    Answer by moniquemomma at 9:56 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • hi first poster's right. Even with an iep you don't need a form of any kind yourself until after testing and academic and behavioral, medical recommendations are ready to be detailed to help child in class. Try going to ERIC for help and also google your state's special education department plus federal department of special education.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • Okay. Maybe I need to provide more details: Our son was recently diagnosed with ADHD. He is in Kindergarten. He is on meds and the teacher suspects some LD issues. She said (and so did his pediatric neurologist) that we need to write a letter requesting furthr testing. His neurologist has already done that for us and we just want to add a cover letter. I'm assuming a 504 plan would follow the evaluations? Just looking for a simple letter format.

    Answer by moniquemomma at 10:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • All you have to do is write " I am requesting an IEP meeting and evaluation for my son/daughter__________." All I had to do and all my friend had to do was call the principal and set it up. Just because there is an IEP in place doesn't mean it will be followed.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • You do need to make the request in writing. But keep in mind, you can only request he be evaluated to see if he qualifies. Making the request doesn't just put him the program. It sounds like he very well may qualify, but many people just assume all kids get IEPs. Make sure you talk to the school about how long the evaluation will take. It's a long process and takes months.


    Answer by maxswolfsuit at 12:09 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.