We have an 11yr girl. Dad & I have been separated for about a yr. We are slowly restoring our relationship & want to be a family again. When & how do we approach our daughter w/ what is going on b/t us?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Relationships

• Your daughter need not be privy to this information yet, in the event things don't work out as planned. The best thing you can do is help her maintain a relationship with her Father, that is separate from you. When you've both re-established your relationship's groundwork, you won't have to tell your daughter: she'll automatically know it.

Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 10:00 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I wouldn't tell her until you guys have fully commited to one another again. If you two were to decide that this really isn't a good idea after you've told her, you're only going to break her heart. Make sure that what you have with her and her father is serious and you're going to put forth all effort to make it work. Once you've commited and are serious, then sit her down and ask her "How would you feel about your father and I being together again?" Then go from there.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:01 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Have you tried family counseling? That would be the first thing I would consider. To be sure all of your bases are covered. Congrats on starting to work things out. I hope they work out and there is a happy ending to your story. There aren't many of those these days and it would be nice to see it work out for someone. Good Luck!
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:12 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Ask her how she'd feel if dad came home. Let her know her opinion and feelings are important

Answer by admckenzie at 11:04 PM on Dec. 9, 2009