How do I expose my children to the world---especially at this givemegiveme time of the year?

I recently returned from a trip to South/Central Africa. The experience was amazing. The African People were so hard working with their resources being taken by every nation of the world. Yet they remained open, inviting and upbeat. How do I show our children that there's more to this holiday season than "me"???

aupairhelper

Asked by aupairhelper at 10:17 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Travel

• i guess that depends on how old your children are. Tomorrow my boys and i are going to a nursing home to volunteer our presence and to give a few little gifts. My boys are 4 and 5.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:31 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Well, being that your children are in their late 20's/early 30's, it might be a bit late for you to expose them to the world. The only suggestion that I might have is if they could go with you on your next trip, so that they can experience it too. You can also talk with them about your experiences however, they are grown women and they will decide what they want to do. Good Luck!

Anonymous

• Go to local shelters and see where you and your family can lend a helping hand.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 10:43 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Wow!!! Thanks for your great answers. Actually, "Anonymous" I accompanied my 32 year old daughter to four socially responsible travel-ventures (Thailand, China, Ecuador and latest, South/Central Africa--So. Africa, Botswana, Zambia) so they are sooo exposed to "others." When I said "our" I met "It takes a village to raise a child" and I wanted to hear what others were doing to help their children realize the "worlds' community." Thanks for the replies legalmommy101 and OutstandingLove. BUT how about people who have diffeent cultures than the ones we are raising our children in. Is anyone exposing their kids to diversity? AND are we teaching our children "Making a Difference Matters."
    aupairhelper

Answer by aupairhelper at 10:51 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Have them help out at food kitchens, clothing drives, food drives, etc. Get them involved in the community with people who are less fortunate then they are. Show them the other side of life and what this Holiday season really means. That's giving.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:54 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• We are a military family. DS2 and i have been to Korea and we will soon be moving to Germany.

If it were not for the military we would not have any money to directly expose our children to any other cultures. You and your children are lucky.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:54 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• You will see plenty of diversity in a shelter, trust me.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 10:56 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• My son is 8 and we make boxes for Operation Christmas Child and purchase gifts from the Salvation Army Angel Tree at his school. We are not a Santa house. So, we teach him to show gratitude for what he receives and not to expect to receive everything he asks for.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 1:14 AM on Dec. 10, 2009