Does my kid have Autism?

Since my daughter has been walking, she has been doing this "flapping" thing with her arms. When she gets excited, she will flap her arms like a bird, open her mouth (and stretch her face) & make a screech type noise. She will do this until she is not excited anymore. It started when she would see Moose and Zee on the tv (they were her favorite toons). Now she's starting to do it for other things. This past week, she did it when the bath water started to drain and she did it when looking at her Backyardigans couch. She is now 19 months old and I really started thinking about Autism. I have googled and googled and googled so much I feel my brain is going to google out of my head. Point blank is that I'm worried to death about her. I talked with a friend of mine who said her warning sign would be that my daughter still "babbles" when talking. She has a vocabulary of 48+ words (that I can list) right now but does babble.

Mommy2Taylor54

Asked by Mommy2Taylor54 at 10:18 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You should be able to call your school district for guidance on early intervention guidelines. If there is an issue starting early can be very very helpful to have been through by the time kindergarten comes around. Try keeping her away from that television show for a few weeks to see if she can be refocused into regular frequent movements and moods. I very strongly recommend that if you ever get dd tested to be sure to stay in the room during testing - that way you yourself will see exactly what the staff sees.

Kids do go through moods because of exposure to so many tv shows. Take things in stride, continue advocating for your child should she have a disability or not.
    Anonymous

• Stop worrying about it. You wouldn't miss the signs of autism if your child had it. It worries me why you are wondering if there is something wrong with your daughter and you automatically pointed to autism. Does autism run in your family?

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 10:24 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Not that I know of...autism does not run in my family, but when she starts flapping her arms, she seems to remind me of an autistic adult I once knew so it got me to thinking about it. It'd be easy to "not worry about it", but trust me, if you saw what she does, it absolutely freaks out me and DH. I dont get the first comment about calling my school district. My daughter is 19 mos old. I'm a SAHM with her.
    Mommy2Taylor54

Answer by Mommy2Taylor54 at 10:27 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Does she respond to you? Does she make eye contact with you? Does she act like she comprehends what you are saying? Following simple instructions? Does she play with you? If you answer yes, then it's not autism.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 10:29 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• My daughter also displays more "symptoms" but these are things I dont take to heart as they seem the same typical things an almost-two-year old might do.

**She has developed into a picky eater and wont eat meat. They say this could be a sign of autism, but I shrugged that off because there are a TON of kids who are picky eaters around age 2
    **My friend says she thinks she has a speech impedement. She has a vocab of approx 40-50 words but does "babble" a lot...
    **She walks on her tip toes a lot (which they say is an autistic trait)...but again, most kids do this.
    **She rolls her eyes to the side when she's running around...but again, I figured it was something she does because she's "twirling" around or something like that.

Mommy2Taylor54

Answer by Mommy2Taylor54 at 10:30 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Does she respond to you? Yes.

Does she make eye contact with you? Yes

Does she act like she comprehends what you are saying? For the most part...as well as a 19 month old would

Following simple instructions? Somewhat...again, she's 19 months old...hard to "follow instructions" ha ha

Does she play with you? Yes, but not really with other children

Mommy2Taylor54

Answer by Mommy2Taylor54 at 10:32 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• What I am educated about is -

My doc says around the time a kid turns 2, they're vocabulary should be about 50 words...so your kids actually doing really well on the speaking thing with how young she is.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:35 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• She's fine. Children do silly things when they are excited... they just have their own quirks.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:37 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I think you should stop worrying about it, seriously. She sounds like a typical 2 yr old. Just remember that not all children fit perfectly into "molds". My son walked at 6 months but didn't talk until 2 1/2 and he has a genius IQ. I really wouldn't worry about it. Like I said, if she had autism her symptoms would be very bothersome not only to you but to her as well.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 10:40 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• i really appreciate ALL your answers. and I'm not usually a worry wart and I'm trying hard not to be. But when I started researching Autism symptoms, one DISTINCT symptom was the flapping of hands in excitement. It freaked me out. Hubby and i have been at each other's throats about this...constantly arguing. I have tried to tell him to let it go and even if she is autistic, they wont diagnose her until she's older. But he wont let it go. So I figured I'd post on here and see if anyone else had the same things happen.
    Mommy2Taylor54

Answer by Mommy2Taylor54 at 10:43 PM on Dec. 9, 2009