Are there any other moms on here who are RH- and had to have the Rhogam shot?

I'm currently pregnant with my first baby and recently found out that I'm RH- and have to get a Rhogam shot. For those who aren't aware of the Rhogam shot, it's taken as an immunization. With RH- mothers-to-be with babies who might be RH+, this shot is very necessary... so I'm told. To make a long story short, the shot tricks your body into thinking you have the RH factor in your blood(when you are RH- and this factor is absent.) Otherwise, your body will sense the RH factor in your babies body, and will create antibodies to destroy the RH factor in their blood. The issue with this is, when you get pregnant a second time around, you will have many complications due to the antibodies that your body has created in the first pregnancy. You may miscarry, have a stillborn baby, or the baby could be born jaundice and need a blood transfusion. I'm looking for anyone else who is RH- and had to receive the rhogam injection.

agid87

Asked by agid87 at 10:26 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have had the Rhogam shot..I as well had to have the antibiotics for testing positive to the Strep B...The antibiotics HURT like heck...I do know of a few ppl though who have taken the Rhogam shot and have three kids no problems with any...
    Anonymous

• I had it...my daughter ( 1st born) was born jaundice, but she didnt need a blood transfusion...

they never really explained it to me though...I had to look what it meant up on the net,...
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 10:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I had the Rhogam shot after my son was born, turned out later it was unnecessary because he was rH- but anyway... The shot itself didn't hurt anymore than usual, but my ass was sore for a freaking YEAR where I got it!.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I get the Rhogam shot with all my kids. So far 4 healthy babies! I'm O- hubby is O+
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:41 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• My mom had it with 6 of her 7 kids - and we were all healthy and fine.

Maybe I'm going off old info "from back in my mother's day" but I thought the RH factor didn't effect first babies, that it only effected 2nd and further kids...anyway, I guess docs are going for a better safe than sorry with 1rst kids these days.

mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:42 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I had the Rhogam shot with both of my kids. Like you, I got it with my first pregnancy and my daughter was born O-. I also had it whith my 2nd pregnancy, and my son was born O+ . The funny thing is, both of my parents were O+ and as far as I know, my sisters and brother are also O+. I'm the only 1 that is O-. I also received it after both babies were delivered to maintain my protection. Good luck,Sweetie!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 10:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I had the Rogam shot with my first pregnancy. Had no complications. I had the rogam shot with my secone baby. Had no complications. Both pregnancies were effortless, healthy, and full term pregnancies. Both of my children were born full term and healthy. Both of my kids were born with minor cases of jaundice, but nothing that lasted more then a day or two.
    Your body will only attack your baby if the blood from the baby transfers into your blood stream. Like from a placenta abruption, a fall that causes damage to you or your baby, etc. The baby itself will not be effected if no blood transfers into your body from the baby. This is only if the baby is positive and not negative. Being RH- is only truely a serious threat with second babies and not so much with the first. They only give it to you with the first as a precaution.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:50 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I was told that it's less likely that this baby(my first) will be effected, however if I don't get the rhogam shot, my next baby will most definitely be severely effected. I'm 22 years old, and do plan on having more babies... so hearing that this RH incompatibility thing could get in the way of that really worries me... I'm terrified of getting the rhogam, since I've read about so many risks involved. But on the other hand, the risks involved with refusing the shot worry me even more. The task of making this difficult decision is really putting a lot of stress on me, which is why I decided to ask this question. I had high hopes that I would hear from other mums in the same position, and even better, mothers who've already been through it. So I thank you all in advance for anything you could share with me about your experiences!!
    agid87

Answer by agid87 at 10:56 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Also, I was told that 50% of women experience slight placenta bleeding around 28 weeks, which is perfectly normal and usually harmless, except in a case where a woman is RH- and her baby is RH+ This slight bleeding is enough to allow the blood of mother and baby to mix.... Not really sure about the accuracy of this, however I did hear about it from someone interning at a hospital... so who knows.
    agid87

Answer by agid87 at 11:13 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I had the rhogham shot with my two kids, will with this one, no problem. I don't think you WILL have problems in other pregnancies is correct, for one my doctors never said anything about that. The shot is to protect your unborn child. My first was born jaundiced, he just had to be under the lights for a few days, no problems with my second at all.
    Rachell9503

Answer by Rachell9503 at 11:59 PM on Dec. 9, 2009